Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 12:52 AM

Colour in Winter

I need flowers and colour around me, so in the winter when everything is grey, muddy or dormant, I like to have a few indoor plants to flower.

Every year I have a few pots of Cyclamen dotted about on window sills, and I always grow a couple of Amaryllis to flower around Christmas too.

I plant small pots of Paperwhite Narcissus to have indoors, plus Hyacinths (because they always remind me of my Mum), and very often some miniature daffs in pots to flower later as well.

It cheers me up and keeps me going till spring and the bulbs start pushing through the cold soil and turning into buds.

Does anyone else like indoor plants flowering over the winter?
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 06:09 AM

Re: Colour in Winter

got some cyclamen,and Christmas ,easter cactus?ones in flower now. whats that all about lol,and the lemon tre seems to flower when ever.
the cyclamen I grew from seed off another plant a few yrs ago.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 06:54 AM

At the moment I have an orchid in flower and an azalea
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 02:02 PM

I don't like indoor plants nor cut flowers

Mother loves them

So her sitting room and the downstairs bathroom are filled with orchids As long as they don't encroach into the shared living areas I put up with then. At least with orchids there is no smell
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
got some cyclamen,and Christmas ,easter cactus?ones in flower now. whats that all about lol,and the lemon tre seems to flower when ever.
the cyclamen I grew from seed off another plant a few yrs ago.

Yes Doc, my Christmas Cactus are in flower too.
I have a lovely pure white one, and a bright red one which is a cutting I took from Mum's huge old one, so I am glad that is growing well.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I need flowers and colour around me, so in the winter when everything is grey, muddy or dormant, I like to have a few indoor plants to flower.

Every year I have a few pots of Cyclamen dotted about on window sills, and I always grow a couple of Amaryllis to flower around Christmas too.

I plant small pots of Paperwhite Narcissus to have indoors, plus Hyacinths (because they always remind me of my Mum), and very often some miniature daffs in pots to flower later as well.

It cheers me up and keeps me going till spring and the bulbs start pushing through the cold soil and turning into buds.

Does anyone else like indoor plants flowering over the winter?
Mrs Lds is always buying Cyclamen for indoors but they never seem to last very long.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 06:59 PM

I like a few indoor flowering plants, cut flowers are so expensive and don't last long.
I usually have white chrysanthemums, pink begonias and white or blue hyacinths .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Yes, I always have some blue hyacinths Meg (reminds me of Mum), and this year I am trying just 3 of the yellow ones too. Not keen on those black ones, are you?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I always have some blue hyacinths Meg (reminds me of Mum), and this year I am trying just 3 of the yellow ones too. Not keen on those black ones, are you?
....haven't seen black ones Mups and I wouldn't want them .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

06-11-2017, 10:40 PM

There you go Meg:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top