Join for free
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2017, 02:58 PM

Re: Ugly Looney Labour Anti-Semitism Rears Again

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
The WHOLE point was to illustrate what was offensive, and it was, wrong time wrong place.
If you want to be offended pop over to the joke section on this very site.

Punchlines such as "Thats not a ring, it's my watch"
Difference between rectal and oral thermometers is taste.

Funny at the right time and the right place..........but intended to offend in the wrong place.
Wonder if the same furore would have ensued if the bad taste jokes from this site had been used as examples ?
I seriously doubt it. The jokes you cited are not directed at a race of people or the horrifying events in their history. Would she have told a joke about a n***** or a P***? No, the outrage bus would be in full swing. She should be censured by the Labour party and Corbyn in particular for her crassness.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2017, 03:08 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth Judd.

Joking about certain subjects can have repercussions. As Charlie Hebdo found out after some took poking fun at the Prophet as a serious, life or death matter.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2017, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I seriously doubt it. The jokes you cited are not directed at a race of people or the horrifying events in their history. Would she have told a joke about a n***** or a P***? No, the outrage bus would be in full swing. She should be censured by the Labour party and Corbyn in particular for her crassness.
I don't think she told the joke she used it to explain what wasn't allowed. It's odd to me how this has been taken. If we can't give examples of things how can we know exactly what's being talked about ?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2017, 04:25 PM

Hi

You would not hear her making a joke about Muslims to explain the situation.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think she told the joke she used it to explain what wasn't allowed. It's odd to me how this has been taken. If we can't give examples of things how can we know exactly what's being talked about ?
Your attempts to defend the indefensible are laudable but the truth remains that she needn't have resurrected this offensive joke and retelling it as an example. She merely had to say, on TV and in her book, that holocaust jokes in the 70s Rag Mag were in bad taste then and continue to be so now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You would not hear her making a joke about Muslims to explain the situation.
As far as I am concerned she could if it was needed. I don't see talking about things as taboo, free speech and all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-11-2017, 04:30 PM

Your attempts to defend the indefensible are laudable but the truth remains that she needn't have resurrected this offensive joke and retelling it as an example. She merely had to say, on TV and in her book, that holocaust jokes in the 70s Rag Mag were in bad taste then and continue to be so now.
Well I for one would have no idea what she was talking about. As a rule I like to know what I'm condemning before I condemn it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

04-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well I for one would have no idea what she was talking about. As a rule I like to know what I'm condemning before I condemn it.
No idea? Has the holocaust escaped your notice? Why would you need an example of a holocaust joke before you condemned it?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-11-2017, 05:58 PM

No idea? Has the holocaust escaped your notice? Why would you need an example of a holocaust joke before you condemned it?
No the fact that there were jokes about it in the seventies in what ever rag mag was.

I'd suggest many younger than me would be puzzled too.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2017, 06:59 PM

She's also made this point using the same `joke` in her new book - no such thing as bad publicity eh?
Backfired a bit I think.

Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top