Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 09:21 PM

Guess the name of the flower variety by picture?

Hi do any of you lovely people know the name of this flower. I could have sworn it was called zinnia or Zania, but cannot find anything when I type that in :

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-yel...22113806.html?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 10:24 PM

Re: Guess the name of the flower variety by picture?

Try Gazania....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Try Gazania....
That’s also my guess...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 10:39 PM

Oh yes that's it! Thank you so much
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-11-2017, 10:39 PM

I've just put a nice insulating fleece on it as it's freezing here, but I was trying to find out whether it needs one
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-11-2017, 10:42 PM

If its perenial it will die back then reappear in Spring,If an annual then it will die and not appear again ....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2017, 12:52 AM

Annie, I believe Gazanias are classed as as 'Tender Perennials.'

See this:

Gazania, also known as the African daisy, is a perennial flower native to South Africa. In America, it is sometimes grown as an annual, as it often does not survive harsh winters throughout much of the country.

I think I would have taken cuttings incase they don't make it through winter.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

16-11-2017, 01:49 AM

Mups I was wondering how you tell if it's annual or perennial. Maybe I should just put it in the house as I don't have a greenhouse? Or will the central heating make things worse. Such a shame to lose it as it was a lovely display.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2017, 01:06 AM

Here you are Annie. Sorry for the delay.
Just found this for you, hope it helps.
Keep it cool-ish, not on top of a radiator.

Gazania

These are very tender plants that can’t cope with winter cold or wet, so they need to be kept somewhere the temperature doesn't fall below 7°C. Such tender plants can either be potted up individually and placed on the windowsill of a cool room, or placed under the staging in a heated conservatory or greenhouse. You can also take cuttings now as insurance kept at a minimum temperature of 7°C.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

17-11-2017, 08:49 PM

Thanks Mups. I hadn't thought of taking a cutting. I guess you can do that will all the delicate plants. Alas we don't have a greenhouse.

So if I take a cutting do I just stick it into a jar of water? Do you need to keep changing the water or add feed? I've seen this wonderful video on facebook where people take their fresh veg and cut bits off and it all sprouts into a lovely healthy plant. Whenever I have tried to do cuttings (a long time ago now) they just wilt into a sickly yellow limp thing. So I must be doing something wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top