Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Re: Sink Holes

There was a time when three lads decided to walk through these caves to see how far they could get, when they got themselves well and truly lost in the warren this complex of caves proved to be.

Three days later they stumbled out into the open by accident into the waiting arms of a search party who were on the verge of giving up on them.

That incident made the national news.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I cann hardly believe that, Fogey.
So now, through man's earlier stupidity, people are losing their homes and businesses to sink holes!

No one has answered yet as to whether fracking will do the same?
I have absolutely no doubt that fracking will cause a lot of these caves to collapse, with the resultant sink holes.

We experienced these cave-ins naturally some 60 odd years ago, so only the Lord knows what would happen if a load of explosions were set off.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
In Wiltshire, where I lived as a boy, I was able to walk some three miles underground, through abandoned mines, from Quarry Hill to Corsham, where they quarried for Bath-stone.

A great place to grow up.
I was stationed in Corsham and I remember the caves around Box hill.
Also the depots that were underground that stored munitions were built from these caves so I was told. There were also sub depots around that area.
Fogey
Shropshire

01-12-2017, 12:18 PM

As true then as it is now, Emjay.

I doubt very much that fracking would be allowed in this part of the country.

The entire side of the Bath Valley is one giant honeycomb of caves.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 07:33 PM

The Channel 5 programmes have been fascinating. I wonder about all these gravel pits that have been made into artificial lakes, some are very close to each other with houses on small pieces of land in between. As the water causes erosion perhaps these houses are in danger from beneath.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 01:10 AM

[QUOTE=Yolande;1287051]The Channel 5 programmes have been fascinating. I wonder about all these gravel pits that have been made into artificial lakes, some are very close to each other with houses on small pieces of land in between. As the water causes erosion perhaps these houses are in danger from beneath.[/QUOTE]

Seems very feasible to me, Yolande.

I wonder how those poor people will stand insurance-wise?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 02:31 AM

Hi

Fracking and subsidence and house insurance.

http://www.talkaboutshale.com/index....ses-subsidence

As for old mines, Telford has literally hundreds of old bell pits, early mines worked by one family with no supports, they are found as and when.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Here's one that appeared on the Mancunian Way about 2 years ago.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 03:23 PM

Gosh, that's frightening Tpin.
What was the cause of that one, did they say?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 03:46 PM

I'm not sure what excuses they made but....I'm sure, having witnessed shoddy workmanship on the A34, that most problems are caused by inadequate/faulty drainage.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top