Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 09:40 AM

Re: Photo tips and tricks.

DSLR - Digital Single Lens Reflex means when you look through the viewfinder you are actually looking through the lens.

This is because there is are mirrors angled at 45 degrees, allowing the viewer to see in real time what the camera will record.

This isn't to scale, but will give an idea of how the DSLR works.

Once the shutter release button is pressed the mirror flips out of the way and the shutter opens, recording the image on the sensor.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	4910  
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 10:09 AM

If I am taking a sequence of shot, such as for a panorama or stacked macro, I always place my hand over the lens and take an underexposed frame before and after the sequence.

Then, when I get on the computer each sequence is easily identified.

The same applies if you change your venue.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 10:54 AM

With a pano series of shots I tend to overlap each shot by about a third. This is so the light is more or less constant from one side to another. Also best using a tripod with a fluid head to keep each shot level.

You an get other problems like pin chushion or barrel distortion as below.

Ok so why not use wide angle lens.
you could get this where the side start to converge on each other

So taking ultra wide angle brings its own problems. It can be corrected to a degree with an editing suite
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 12:51 PM

Some great photos Realspeed, and good advice from you and Fogey. I might not post in this thread very often as my Nikon S220 is all I use and you guy's are far more into photography than I am, but I like to try and post interesting photos of holidays or my countryside excursions and your advice is increasing the number of accidentally good shots that I get.

I'm really enjoying this thread, thanks for starting it Nom....

Keep up the good work.....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 02:09 PM

OGF

you can still do pano shots with your camera but you may well need an editing suite to stitch them together.

The first suite I got it involved stitching the photos together manually, never worked properly.

Now with Adobe elements 14 that I use this stitching is done by the editing suite automatically.
Fogey
Shropshire

14-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Serif Panorama plus is a free program that does a good job.

Simply load the images into the program, click the 'Stitch' button and crop.

Another good free program is Microsoft Image Composite Editor. (MICE).
Fogey
Shropshire

14-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Don't forget, panoramas can be vertical as well as horizontal.

This image consists of 42 images - 7 across 6 high.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 06:28 PM

Amazing Fogey, dont think ive seen a vertical panarama before.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Developing a photographers eye, a big subject and some of us have the ability to see photographs in unusual places. Creative use of composition, light, angles, subject matter etc can elevate an image, its a gift for some and an art to work towards for others. It can be achieved with minimal kit and a good eye for a final photo.

I often enjoy these types of images more than standard photos. I wont pretend this is my forte, ive dabbled so i hope some otheres may put up better examples.

This is a common Feral pigeon taken on a cold day, i felt there was another image in a closer crop.

closer crop.

Looking for interesting shapes / patterns is a fairly easy way to improve your eye.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2018, 12:51 PM

Good advice Nom, I often look closely at photos I'm not that impressed with (I get quite a lot of those) and think, " hang on!" when I spot a bit of interest sometimes abstract in it somewhere.
Lovely pigeon!

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top