Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 01:30 AM

Re: Do You Discipline Your Thinking?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Very disciplined, and I hate distractions. Sometimes too rigid and staunch, so I'm told....
Your mind never wanders?

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I don't see the need, no one can read others thoughts, so I think what I think. The problem would come if I said things aloud.
But that's the thing, Tiff. The person I most don't want to hear negative things from and the only person I demand improvement from is me.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My mind is like a nervy spooky horse it jibes here and there runs at any small distraction and shies away from difficult situations .
I can calm a nervous horse but have never been able to tame my mind..
That is a superb simile. I completely get where you are coming from with that description.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'd be interested to know Muddy whether your mind is calmed when you are drawing.
I can't speak for Muddy, but my mind is completely lost in painting.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I did manage this mom in my mid twenties when I was totally drained and stressed after a chest bug. Before this my mind would be chasing its tail all the time.

A combination of (stillness and decluttering) visualisation exercises, a complete clear out of physical clutter, healthy diet, focusing on healing and sheer determination by constantly bringing my mind back to observing mode.

Of course it all went to pot after my father died, but the inner peace at the time was immense and it's amazing how much you can achieve just by letting it flow without a cluttered mind.

it really depends on the type of learning style you have as to what will suit you. I find visualisation has a really powerful effect on me. I stopped smoking for example by visualising I was right next to an exhaust from a car breathing in the smoke every time I took a drag. Other people might be able to focus using ambient sounds or white noise. I do think it's a lot easier when you are young (well I guess everything is!)
That's most interesting; thank you!. I am going to research more on that.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

20-04-2021, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Maybe once upon a time, folks change, circumstances change, tomorrow is another day.
Shades of:

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
PK, I mostly let my mind run amok.

I don't put a lot of thought into metacognition, but Pauline got me thinking about it from another thread. My mind tends to be an over-active and disorganized mess of contemplating ideas, solving problems, making lists, organizing my time, wondering, wonder.....but sometimes I allow myself to travel down a path of dull-witted negative thoughts without putting on the brakes.

I try to stay disciplined in other aspects of life - diet, exercise, work, responsibilities, why not more so in thinking? I am thinking that the older I get, the more I should try to exercise more mental discipline.
Mind running rampant? Over active, over thinking mind?
Welcome to my world. I’m horrible for this. I literally have to remind myself daily to simplify , simplify, simplify because I can over- complicate anything needlessly.
Meditation helps a lot and so does daily journaling.
Some people even go as far as not talking for a month or more.
That takes a huge amount of discipline but I DO get what you mean.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 02:49 AM

I don't like to do much thinking,it usually gets me into trouble.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 04:22 AM

This is a very unfair conversation. Women don't have a "Nothing Box"

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

20-04-2021, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Mind running rampant? Over active, over thinking mind?
Welcome to my world. I’m horrible for this. I literally have to remind myself daily to simplify , simplify, simplify because I can over- complicate anything needlessly.
Meditation helps a lot and so does daily journaling.
Some people even go as far as not talking for a month or more.
That takes a huge amount of discipline but I DO get what you mean.
I would never journal for fear of boring myself to death . I admire you for being able to do that! Meditation would be good for me, I know.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

20-04-2021, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
This is a very unfair conversation. Women don't have a "Nothing Box"
If I did, I'd waste no time in filling it up with something important like the measurements, cutting, and sewing needed for a 20 inch decorative pillow with bias cording, zipper, and covered buttons .

That's a funny and too-right clip, Bruce. Compartmentalizing is a gift I envy, but I wouldn't trade it for the camcorder running in my brain.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 07:17 AM

The mind can be a mine field, first one has to recognise it, then reign it in, which imo can be a constant battle....but the negative/ destructive thoughts.....can be silenced over time, it takes effort though, I’m always exploring my thinking and understanding of it, but then I am single have all day, with no interruptions, so it’s something I can focus on, plus it interests me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
If I did, I'd waste no time in filling it up with something important like the measurements, cutting, and sewing needed for a 20 inch decorative pillow with bias cording, zipper, and covered buttons .

That's a funny and too-right clip, Bruce. Compartmentalizing is a gift I envy, but I wouldn't trade it for the camcorder running in my brain.
The thing that really annoys me about that video is that it fits with my life experience.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top