Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 09:44 AM

Email provider

My email is provided by my web host, for a website which I hardly use. I was on a special offer charge of .99p per mth + VAT for 6 months. That's now come to an end, so I'm interested in finding a new email provider - free if possible and with a great spam filter and something I can use for very many years.

If in future I decide to put my genealogy website back up, what are the likely costs? Due to the new privacy laws, no one can search to find my website anyway, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

Any ideas?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Re: Email provider

I have found this to be a good site.

https://www.gmx.com/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 11:41 AM

I use 1&1, for which I pay about £12 per year.

For that I get two full email addresses, (you can virtually make up anything eg JoeBloggs@Joeblogs.co.uk, or .com, or whatever).

On their website you can switch on full antivirus checking.

The control of spam is impressive, also, as you can just set it to "high" and get most rubbish out, or you can put in specific "blocking" to get rid of the really annoying mass mailers individually.

Note that I am not advertising for, or employed, in any way, by 1and1.

I just like being safe & secure and that's not bad for (about) 12 quid a year.

It works well for me.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I use 1&1, for which I pay about £12 per year.

For that I get two full email addresses, (you can virtually make up anything eg JoeBloggs@Joeblogs.co.uk, or .com, or whatever).

On their website you can switch on full antivirus checking.

The control of spam is impressive, also, as you can just set it to "high" and get most rubbish out, or you can put in specific "blocking" to get rid of the really annoying mass mailers individually.

Note that I am not advertising for, or employed, in any way, by 1and1.

I just like being safe & secure and that's not bad for (about) 12 quid a year.

It works well for me.
Thanks for that........... I also use 1&1, so I'll be giving them a call very soon!!! Does your contract have a scheme name.........and for how long can you pay £12 pa?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 06:46 PM

Gmail.com , Hotmail to name
but two both free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Gmail.com , Hotmail to name
but two both free
Since BT have decided to take my email address from me at the end of May I have tried various email providers and have settled on Gmail and am quite happy with it.
No spam so far .
Lindyloo
isle of wight

21-04-2017, 08:40 PM

I also have a gmail account, which is great at sorting spam. But I tend to use it for subscription type emails so it gets pretty full and there's loads of rubbish. I'm told you can have two different gmail accounts and see them both side to side..........how is that done?
Shadowman
Wisconsin, USA
Shadowman is male  Shadowman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 02:18 AM

I use mainly yahoo, but also have a gmail account and am familiar with MSN although I don't use it. These are all web based to you just need to connect to the internet. They all have spam filters. The gmail seems to work best for me with the cell phone. Good luck.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks for that........... I also use 1&1, so I'll be giving them a call very soon!!! Does your contract have a scheme name.........and for how long can you pay £12 pa?
Hi Lindyloo!

It's just called a "webmail account".
I've been paying around 12 pounds a year for quite a few years.
I like it because (1) it appears to be very safe. (2) You can use a personal email address - eg Tedc@thepub.co.uk or Mary@thelittlelamb.com, and many others if you like!.

I have a few google types of accounts but hardly ever use them except when I go to use a facility where I know they'll sell their email list on. Then the google ones become a bit like throw away addresses.

Car Insurance/comparison web sites will be most likely to sell your email addresses - so I give them one of my freebies and then rarely look at anything they send.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

22-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I also have a gmail account, which is great at sorting spam. But I tend to use it for subscription type emails so it gets pretty full and there's loads of rubbish. I'm told you can have two different gmail accounts and see them both side to side..........how is that done?
If you use MS Outlook, or W10 mail, you simply set up an account, in there, for each email address. Then you will see the mails side by side, or separately, if you wish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top