Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Workmen in the house

Am I the only one who virtually has a nervous breakdown when men are working on the house aggggggg !

The latest lot are relaying the patio and rebuilding the steps onto the lawn something which involves having to take everything including barrows full of ballast and mortar through the kitchen (the only access to my back garden).

Now the men have gone home leaving their tools all over the place and half a wheelbarrow full of mortar with a trowel in it which will have set by morning, something I could never do.

I have used more teabags today than I do in a month.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 05:43 PM

Re: Workmen in the house

Its a nightmare i can vouch for that Meg,even though we were not living in the Bungalow we went over every night to see how work was progressing .,the bathroom was being tiled , and in the Hall was left a circler saw with no guard on it and to get to the Kitchen we had to stride over it ..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 06:26 PM

I too have a real problem with workmen
They drive me nanas !
We had to endure one here yesterday, as usual big boots and would he pick them up oh no, scuff the carpet with each step, then leaving his bag where he nearly tripped over it 3 times, I moved it .....
Gggggrrrrr - I cant stand it !!!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Patsy. ..I always tell the workmen to take their. Boots off in my home. ,some have gone and retrieved a pair of slip on glosher type things that go over their Boots so some do carry these,they just like to push their luck and try and enter with mucky boots on .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 06:51 PM

That's a great idea, workmen should wear those things over the top of their boots .....
This one kept coming in and out, otherwise it would have been boots off - if I had to yank them off meself !
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 06:56 PM

Meg - don't even go there!!

I had a plasterer here a few months ago. Great worker the ad said, very tidy the ad said, very reasonable the ad said. I was away for the weekend when he came and my son was here. The plaster was taken from my flat, all through the balcony access landing, down the stairs, outside. He left bits and pieces of the equipment to be binned - outside. My wee elderly neighbour were all worried about the stuff I had to clear up. Offered to help me clean up. As if!! I don't think the work is that great. He still advertises on the intranet and it says "testimonials if you want". I asked for them and surprise, surprise - zilch!!

I always get ripped off. On saying that, I paid a bit extra for something else last year and they did a good job. My friend says you get what you pay for. I'm beginning to think she's right.

I feel for you. The whole scenario is a nightmare.

Edited.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 07:58 PM

I never make tea etc for workers. The rule is I show them the tea,coffee sugar etc and say help yourselves. I do wish they would put the toilet seat down though. It seems 95% of males find this too difficult. Mind you I had a lady surveyor around recently and it was clear she had used my downstairs loo-oh yes that last piece of tissue hanging around the bowl lol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Am I the only one who virtually has a nervous breakdown when men are working on the house aggggggg !

The latest lot are relaying the patio and rebuilding the steps onto the lawn something which involves having to take everything including barrows full of ballast and mortar through the kitchen (the only access to my back garden).

Now the men have gone home leaving their tools all over the place and half a wheelbarrow full of mortar with a trowel in it which will have set by morning, something I could never do.

I have used more teabags today than I do in a month.

I wouldn't stand for that Meg. If they are having to use your kitchen as a thoroughfare, they must clear up each day and not leave you in a mess. Also, if that cement in the barrow has gone hard, where (and how) do they intend to empty the barrow? Mind you don't find a large concrete block laying about to fall over in the dark!
Poor you.

p.s. I think I might just happen to run out of tea bags if they mess you about tomorrow too - in fact I'm sure I would!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I never make tea etc for workers. The rule is I show them the tea,coffee sugar etc and say help yourselves. I do wish they would put the toilet seat down though. It seems 95% of males find this too difficult. Mind you I had a lady surveyor around recently and it was clear she had used my downstairs loo-oh yes that last piece of tissue hanging around the bowl lol

Never did I think I would hear a bloke say that!
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 01:57 AM

workmen seem to spend more time drinking tea than actually working!

I had several improvements and repairs done last year that took a few weeks to complete, I was driven almost crazy being stuck at home overseeing the work but it was necessary as I had to ensure they weren't cutting corners and completed the jobs satisfactory though I'm sure it wouldn't have been the case had they been left to their own devices.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top