Join for free
Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 01:00 PM

Re: Britain is not a nation of immigrants

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
And if the UK was positioned where the picture placed it it would be hard pressed to support a population of a few 10s of thousands. That is mostly desert.

But we are not the ones complaining about our immigrants. 25% of our population was born overseas yet you are complaining about 15% born overseas?
Well yes, I think most of us realise that is desert but you do have the space to expand if need be. Britain doesn't.

What are your doctors waiting times like? It's currently three weeks where I live.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2018, 11:44 PM

We have a growing, wealthy economy. It's been growing for decades. So we need more inputs (inc labour) to generate more outputs and prosperity for the nation as a whole. We gave up mass training our labour because it was cheaper and made economic sense to import trained and willing workers. If you want constant growth you make it as easy as possible for industry to source factors of production.

People who complain about poverty in the UK need to go spend a while in some of the countries these people come from. We are a wealthy country and nobody here has to worry about electricity blackouts or water shortages. We are wealthy because of historic wealth from the Empire and building on that ever since including massive growth using imported labour.

It's refugees that people complain about but their children probably end up contributing a great deal in future generations. There is something called the "immigrant mentality". I think the basis is that people going to a country with nothing will be driven to do their utmost to ensure their children have a better life.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We have a growing, wealthy economy. It's been growing for decades. So we need more inputs (inc labour) to generate more outputs and prosperity for the nation as a whole. We gave up mass training our labour because it was cheaper and made economic sense to import trained and willing workers. If you want constant growth you make it as easy as possible for industry to source factors of production.

People who complain about poverty in the UK need to go spend a while in some of the countries these people come from. We are a wealthy country and nobody here has to worry about electricity blackouts or water shortages. We are wealthy because of historic wealth from the Empire and building on that ever since including massive growth using imported labour.

It's refugees that people complain about but their children probably end up contributing a great deal in future generations. There is something called the "immigrant mentality". I think the basis is that people going to a country with nothing will be driven to do their utmost to ensure their children have a better life.
I don't think people complain about genuine refugees but about economic migrants coming over to freeload.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:08 AM

We have a growing, wealthy economy. It's been growing for decades. So we need more inputs (inc labour) to generate more outputs and prosperity for the nation as a whole. We gave up mass training our labour because it was cheaper and made economic sense to import trained and willing workers.
This is a myth it's doesn't make economic sense at all .
We import foreign workers who also have families who need education and medical care .
And who also get old and need pensions and care themselves .
Are we to go on importing people ad infinitum ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:12 AM

Alternatively, people going to a country with nothing may be driven to take all the handouts they can lay their hands on, and encourage their children to do the same.

We already have more than enough of our own freeloaders.

As I have said before, my philosophy is to invite in anyone who we need and who would be of benefit to our country. Other countries do exactly that; why not us?
Yes, we should also help genuine refugees but, by definition, refugees are people who are seeking refuge from a dangerous situation.
For that reason, admission of refugees should be admitted on a purely temporary basis and, after the danger they are fleeing from has passed, they should be repatriated.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is a myth it's doesn't make economic sense at all .
We import foreign workers who also have families who need education and medical care .
And who also get old and need pensions and care themselves .
Are we to go on importing people ad infinitum ?
No, I don't think we shall.

When sufficient people are here, the UK will deteriorate towards becoming a third world country to a sufficient level that no-one will want to come here!

Alternatively, it will become a muslim country, and we all know what happens to them: they tend to want to kill each other, to say nothing of non-muslims!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:47 AM

Hi

We take 20,000 genuine refugees a year,fully vetted, straight from the Camps.

With that I have no issue.

They are entirely different to the bunch in Calais, who are purely economic migrants.

The problem we have is that we still take in Radical Muslims,who are not even welcome in their own Country.

The logic of this baffles me.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Alternatively, it will become a muslim country, and we all know what happens to them: they tend to want to kill each other, to say nothing of non-muslims!
Well I'm not sure why it's presumed that all migrants, refugees, asylum seekers are Muslim.
We already know that the numbers we are taking from the camps in the Middle East are mainly Syrian Christians.
So far , according to the article we have only brought to the UK 10,538, out of the commitment to relocate 20,000.
Many of them will return to Syria eventually, and I don't see it too much of a problem.
The illegal migrants are the issue, but all countries are suffering from the same dilemma , and many far, far worse than we are.

https://news.sky.com/story/we-are-ov...risis-11261282

The UK has taken in more than 10,000 Syrian refugees from countries around the conflict zone since 2014, new figures show.

On a visit to Lebanon, the Home Secretary Amber Rudd told Sky News the UK was on schedule to meet the target of 20,000 by 2020, having taken in a total of 10,538 refugees so far.

She also did not rule out Britain taking in more, saying: "Well it's always a question isn't it, can we give more, can we do more?

"I think it was an ambitious commitment at 20,000, it's more than the UK's done before, it's more than any other European country does from the region and we do it well. I think let's just be proud of that."

We visited a single town in Lebanon that hosts more than 25,000 refugees alone. Officials in the border town of Majdal Anjar say they are "overwhelmed" by the crisis.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 06:08 AM

I expect your views on this are influenced on where you live. I live in a village which is a mainly white traditionally English population, however I don't have to travel far to be in an exceptionally high immigrant area where I would certainly be the odd one out.

I have to admit I feel vulnerable going to those areas, very little English is spoken and the women are mainly covered top to toe some even cover their faces in full Burka.

Yes I agree a well integrated society is what we should aim for but this is not integration and integration only works if everyone wants it, I know it's not PC to say this but not all cultures do.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I expect your views on this are influenced on where you live. I live in a village which is a mainly white traditionally English population, however I don't have to travel far to be in an exceptionally high immigrant area where I would certainly be the odd one out.

I have to admit I feel vulnerable going to those areas, very little English is spoken and the women are mainly covered top to toe some even cover their faces in full Burka.

Yes I agree a well integrated society is what we should aim for but this is not integration and integration only works if everyone wants it, I know it's not PC to say this but not all cultures do.
Hi

It may not be PC but you are spot on Summer.

Parts of Bradford can be intimidating, those are the Sunni Muslims,no intention of integrating,yet we still allow them to go abroad,marry and bring their spouses back.

If you go other parts of Bradford,the Shia Area, things are very different,if you see a headscarf,and not all wear them,they are brightly coloured.

Smiley people,welcoming ,fluent English,with a Yorkshire accent,very good Persian Restaurants,bring your own booze.

The kids attend local schools, no faith schools for them.

Page 4 of 11 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top