Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:23 PM

Re: Britain is not a nation of immigrants

Originally Posted by summer ->
I expect your views on this are influenced on where you live. I live in a village which is a mainly white traditionally English population, however I don't have to travel far to be in an exceptionally high immigrant area where I would certainly be the odd one out.

I have to admit I feel vulnerable going to those areas, very little English is spoken and the women are mainly covered top to toe some even cover their faces in full Burka.

Yes I agree a well integrated society is what we should aim for but this is not integration and integration only works if everyone wants it, I know it's not PC to say this but not all cultures do.
Good post Summer.
There are areas like this all over the country.
Bristol has a large Somali population .
Full burqas for the women and there are areas which are entirely Somalian.
This is not integration.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We have a growing, wealthy economy. It's been growing for decades. So we need more inputs (inc labour) to generate more outputs and prosperity for the nation as a whole. We gave up mass training our labour because it was cheaper and made economic sense to import trained and willing workers. If you want constant growth you make it as easy as possible for industry to source factors of production.

People who complain about poverty in the UK need to go spend a while in some of the countries these people come from. We are a wealthy country and nobody here has to worry about electricity blackouts or water shortages. We are wealthy because of historic wealth from the Empire and building on that ever since including massive growth using imported labour.

It's refugees that people complain about but their children probably end up contributing a great deal in future generations. There is something called the "immigrant mentality". I think the basis is that people going to a country with nothing will be driven to do their utmost to ensure their children have a better life.
At the moment you may be just on the cusp of us not having enough water, and services. What don't you understand about finite resources we are a small island.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is a myth it's doesn't make economic sense at all .
We import foreign workers who also have families who need education and medical care .
And who also get old and need pensions and care themselves .
Are we to go on importing people ad infinitum ?
Most migrants are not old people Muddy. They don't use up lots of medical care. Yes they need education for their children but we aren't having enough children here. Pensions are not something that appears but you pay into a pot right? You pay taxes for healthcare, or should. Working people contribute to the tax pot. We don't have enough working people here it's clear. All wealthy economies have a steady stream of migrant workers. It makes a lot of sense.

It's refugees that have caused a lot of friction because they come here without a plan, they have trauma and often mental health problems and they don't fit into the culture. There's no proper management of that problem. Problems between different refugee gangs cause all sorts of issues. People that come here to work are not a drain on the system because they contribute. They need more policies for helping refugees to contribute faster rather than keeping them locked up.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
At the moment you may be just on the cusp of us not having enough water, and services. What don't you understand about finite resources we are a small island.
Well maybe you could explain it to me? Do you have any facts to say we are running out of water because the immigrants are drinking it all?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Good post Summer.
There are areas like this all over the country.
Bristol has a large Somali population .
Full burqas for the women and there are areas which are entirely Somalian.
This is not integration.
They will surely be refugees?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 12:36 PM

Most migrants are not old people Muddy. They don't use up lots of medical care. Yes they need education for their children but we aren't having enough children here. Pensions are not something that appears but you pay into a pot right? You pay taxes for healthcare, or should. Working people contribute to the tax pot. We don't have enough working people here it's clear. All wealthy economies have a steady stream of migrant workers. It makes a lot of sense

But they GET OLD Annie the same as all of us .
They don't stay young forever and they and their children use the same amount of healthcare as anyone else.
There is little economic advantage in the end.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

01-03-2018, 12:39 PM

They will surely be refugees?
They were but the population has risen to 10000 as Somalians have more children .
Some men live as they live in Somalia with little or no respect for women . Another large group of Somalians live in Manchester and there have been vicious sex attacks on young girls form Somalia men who appear to think a white schoolgirl is fair game.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-03-2018, 01:06 PM

They were but the population has risen to 10000 as Somalians have more children .
Some men live as they live in Somalia with little or no respect for women . Another large group of Somalians live in Manchester and there have been vicious sex attacks on young girls form Somalia men who appear to think a white schoolgirl is fair game.
While i am sympathetic to the plight of refugees i think we have taken on too many in the last 20 years and there hasnt been a good plan to help them integrate and to repatriate them back home or to safer nations nearer their homeland. There is an approach that if you come as a refugee then you stay forever but that is not the best policy both from a cultural heritage view and for the local community.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 01:07 PM

Well maybe you could explain it to me? Do you have any facts to say we are running out of water because the immigrants are drinking it all?
Now don't be silly it's the amount of people in the south east, I never said it was immigrants drinking it.

We have had various bans in previous years our water table is lower than ever. We just don't have enough rain fall to keep us all in water, add more people and it will tip over that edge.

Right down eastern area across south east is worst affected.

I watched a tv documentary about it a couple of years ago panorama or similar.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-03-2018, 01:08 PM

But they GET OLD Annie the same as all of us .
They don't stay young forever and they and their children use the same amount of healthcare as anyone else.
There is little economic advantage in the end.
By the time migrant workers get old the baby boomers getting old now won't be an issue. We need workers now . it doesn't mean they will want to live here into old age but they contribute far more than people born here who go straight on benefits.

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top