Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 08:54 AM

Re: Camelias - time to give up trying?

I have a couple of large Camellia shrubs which I trim from time to time but otherwise leave to do their own thing. They're in flower now and lots more buds yet to open. I'll take a photo if I can......
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 10:01 AM

I transfered mine into a larger planter in August and moved it to a different spot in the garden. At present it is all buds but no flowers but looking very healthy.Maybe when the frost goes I may see late blooms. It normally as lovely pink flowers.
We shall see.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 11:28 AM

I have two Camellias.

The first one, l bought from Woolworths! l planted it in the garden and it stayed almost the same size for more than ten years and flowered once! Just one flower!

Last year, l dug it up, put it in a pot and put it it in the greenhouse. It has really thrived and has quite a few buds on it.

The other Camellia, l bought in the reduced section of a garden centre for £3. My friend bought one too.

I re-potted mine and put it in the greenhouse and every year it has loads of beautiful pink flowers. I dare not put it in the garden! Maybe, the sandy soil doesn’t suit them?

My friend, who is usually great with plants, hers died!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have two Camellias.

The first one, l bought from Woolworths! l planted it in the garden and it stayed almost the same size for more than ten years and flowered once! Just one flower!

Last year, l dug it up, put it in a pot and put it it in the greenhouse. It has really thrived and has quite a few buds on it.

The other Camellia, l bought in the reduced section of a garden centre for £3. My friend bought one too.

I re-potted mine and put it in the greenhouse and every year it has loads of beautiful pink flowers. I dare not put it in the garden! Maybe, the sandy soil doesn’t suit them?

My friend, who is usually great with plants, hers died!

You are right about the sandy soil Art.
They are acid loving plants, same as Rhodedendrons and Azaelias, and need to be in an Ericaceous compost, given rain water, and fed ericaceous feed to thrive.

Back in post 2, the RHS link explains more.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top