Join for free
Page 7 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 11:32 PM

Re: Genealogy

Wow! Interesting stuff indeed !
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2017, 12:10 AM

I had a DNA test with Ancestry last Christmas and am very disappointed with their DNA matching service. You can only see where you may match with others who have public trees available to view - and there are very few of those. But even the ones with trees very often don't source their ancestors. I find that particularly with American researchers, the place of birth shown for British ancestors is frequently shown as "England" or "Wales". I've sent many messages of enquiry and had absolutely no response!
I have also - on a different DNA site - "met" two cousins. Our lines are definite and very well sourced. However it appears our DNA doesn't match!!! A comment I put on Ancestry's Facebook page remains unanswered after very many months, but many others have commented that they also have had the same problems.
I believe there are far, far better companies offering a far more reliable test for much the same price.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
That is wonderful news. I have three trees on Ancestry.
My Paternal one is VERY large.
Never thought much about doing the DNA.
I think I found out most stuff.
But maybe in the New Year.
Ive only gone back to beginning of 1800s, everything is done on computer , Ive not been to search church records like some do , but have gone to Cemeteries searching for relatives headstones .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I had a DNA test with Ancestry last Christmas and am very disappointed with their DNA matching service. You can only see where you may match with others who have public trees available to view - and there are very few of those. But even the ones with trees very often don't source their ancestors. I find that particularly with American researchers, the place of birth shown for British ancestors is frequently shown as "England" or "Wales". I've sent many messages of enquiry and had absolutely no response!
I have also - on a different DNA site - "met" two cousins. Our lines are definite and very well sourced. However it appears our DNA doesn't match!!! A comment I put on Ancestry's Facebook page remains unanswered after very many months,but many others have commented that they also have had the same problems.
I believe there are far, far better companies offering a far more reliable test for much the same price.
In answer to your first part , about few Public trees,and getting no answer from enquiries you sent them .
I didnt have my DNA done to contact 3/4 cousins , it was solely to see where my Genes came from , and judging by the No trees or no Public Tree It looks like this reason was the same for others ...
There was a way round the no public tree,if you look there is a box you click on to see who's tree they are in ..some have and some haven't.
The point you make about "met "Two cousins , have you thought about this answer ,,they do not have your DNA cause they were adopted into your family , private adoptions took place without paper work years ago ..

I had a look for Ancestry FB page and two came up, and it declared they are not anything to do with Ancestry, just someone who started them up , so perhaps thats why you got no reply .
If i had a question to ask it would be to Ancestry DNA , where i had my test done ...

Who are these companies ? and why do you think they are more reliable ?

I may at some time in the future take another DNA test with a different company just to see if they come out the same ..
GPapa
New Member!
South Somerset
GPapa is male 

06-03-2018, 09:25 AM

DNA
Just a reminder about website called "Lost Cousins". If you look at their archive on this site you will find plenty of info and advice about DNA, including how to interpret the results. It is a free website and you can sign up for regular genealogy updates, especially useful is notices relating to subscription offers from the large sites (Ancestry, Find my Past etc).
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 07:20 PM

Just received the following email from Ancestry.:-

Hi,
Daniel Stowell (Quartermaster) died on 14th October 1918 when the S.S. Dundalk was torpeoed by U90 while crossing from Liverpool to Dundalk. 20 lives were lost (bodies were not recovered) and there were 12 survivors. My grandfather Hugh O'Neill was the ship's captain and he also lost his life. There is a committee now formed which intends commemorating this event in October 2018 in conjunction with the County Museum Dundalk. We are trying to contact family members of all those involved in this tragedy. I would be obliged if you would contact the Stowell family on our behalf. My email is **************.
Thanking you,
Anne Howard.
That same Daniel Stowell was my grandma's brother - I feel a trip to Eire coming on!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

19-03-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

That same Daniel Stowell was my grandma's brother - I feel a trip to Eire coming on!
Wow , being remembered after so many years , exciting for you ST ,no doubt you will hear untold stories from other relatives from the boat , Dont miss it !
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

How exciting Tabby.
I keep forgetting to check on this lovely thread.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 06:04 PM

I forgot to say.
Free Access on Ancestry until Tuesday.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

07-06-2018, 09:56 PM

Had another message from Ancestry yesterday - this time from someone in Florida. I knew that one of Grandma's brothers had emigrated to USA and had managed to trace him as far as Chicago - and there the trail ended.

Turns out he moved on to New York - married and had family. His granddaughter now lives in Florida and is tracing her tree. We are going to swap email addresses and information - once I have established that she is genuine!

That recent scam has left me very cautious about what I am willing to share and with whom. It would be good to know how that side of the family progressed though. Have sent a small note with some questions that will prove the relationship one way or another. Am impatient now for a reply - but realise USA is on a different time from us.

Page 7 of 13 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top