Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 04:02 PM

Re: Funerals

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
I've recently paid for a funeral plan for direct disposal after a lot of research ... it's cost £1,215.00 which will be held in a whole of life assurance policy plus £450.00 administration fee.

My daughter is shocked at my decision but it's my choice ... I came into this world without a fuss and that's the way I want to leave.

Here's the link to the company I've opted for .. they seem to be the only one who do pre-paid direct disposal plans ...

https://www.low-cost-funeral.co.uk/p...plans/#enquire
Direct cremation seems to be the way to go for both myself and my husband, we agree on that. What we don't agree on though is pre-payment. I want to set it all up now but he says it's risky paying in advance. Thanks for the link myrtle I will check it out.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 04:06 PM

There are risks to paying for anything up front what we have done is find out details and put money aside so who ever is left can sort it out. By putting it in writing I'm hoping they won't get talked into bigger better packages. It's very hard asking what's the cheapest you have choosing a funeral, they make you feel guilty you are even thinking about money saving at a time like that and often can put you in touch with a loan to two I've noticed !
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 04:14 PM

Hi Leia ... I was concerned about pre-payment but I am assured that this company is accredited (my son checked this out for me) and the cost of the cremation, etc is invested with a reputable company hence the administration charges.

I preferred to pre-pay to save my family having to make any arrangements when the time comes ... just one phone call and its sorted and because it's pre-paid any increases in costs are covered apart from anything unavoidable which is explained on their website.

Of course there is no obligation to pre-pay.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
There are risks to paying for anything up front what we have done is find out details and put money aside so who ever is left can sort it out. By putting it in writing I'm hoping they won't get talked into bigger better packages. It's very hard asking what's the cheapest you have choosing a funeral, they make you feel guilty you are even thinking about money saving at a time like that and often can put you in touch with a loan to two I've noticed !
We have money set aside for our funerals and an endowment policy that will pay out on the first death. My husband is adamant which undertaker is NOT to be used following a very bad experience... I don't want to write the details online. I have been looking into direct cremations for a while, at first I wanted a woodland burial for myself but have since changed my mind, I don't want any fuss or a service. I want to have both our funerals paid for in advance but this is where we don't agree. As I said in my earlier post it's not about saving money but having our wishes carried out. I will request a brochure from the link myrtle posted and am grateful for that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 04:22 PM

Sounds good myrtle I think we all do what's best for us at end of the day, but letting others know what's out there is what I'm trying to do.
Leia
UK

05-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sounds good myrtle I think we all do what's best for us at end of the day, but letting others know what's out there is what I'm trying to do.
Thank you Julie, it's good that these things can be discussed openly.

I do question that you said "The only down side is you don't get to attend the service." That might be hard for family members to accept but for me that is the upside, no service, no fuss.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-09-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
Thank you Julie, it's good that these things can be discussed openly.

I do question that you said "The only down side is you don't get to attend the service." That might be hard for family members to accept but for me that is the upside, no service, no fuss.
Well I guess what I meant was it could be a down side for some people the traditional funeral service is very important and I don't think that's right for me but may be what's best for them.

At the end of the day we have to do what's best for us.
Leia
UK

05-09-2017, 04:44 PM

It's a big decision to make, you may be giving family members no chance to say goodbye. Not a decision to be taken lightly and needs to be discussed fully.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

05-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Yes I agree but I see it as a better way to do that, once you get the ashes you can have a really good good bye on your own terms, I'm telling mine they can scatter me and dance on the ashes if that's how they feel at the time
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 09:00 PM

We only have one crematorium here

I've already told Mr Missy if I go before him, he's to tell the undertakers to take me straight down in a body bag and return the ashes by post and he's to scatter them in the garden. ( unless I find somewhere else )

He's horrified at the thought

My step dad died five years ago. His cremation here cost 3k. Then his wish was to go in with his mum in Surrey. To open the grave there was another 3k. To add to the headstone, add new gravel etc, another 5k. Then the ministers fees

No one is there to visit or keep the grave so what was the point ?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top