Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 11:09 AM

Re: Physisist in the house ?

Surely, your argument about weak gravity must be taken in context.

A magnet picking up a pin isn't defying a weak gravitational force as the magnet itself is subject to the same force. It is attracting an object within the gravitational field, not outside it.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 11:12 AM

A sky diver manipulates gravity many, many times during his/her descent.

With simple and small adjustment of the hands/wrists and/or arms and legs they can increase/decrease the terminal velocity.....that, to me, shows gravity to be weak.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, FOGEY. I occasionally run "thought experiments" and sometimes I will figure out an answer. I must admit, however, this one is a tough nut to crack.
I've lately been taking it down to it's lowest common denominator and imagining two atoms, which as you already know, are made up of protons, neutrons and electrons. I'm sure there must be some tiny amount of electrical force within each atom. Perhaps the answer lies in that electrical force.
Hi

They are indeed.

Protons and neutrons are in turn made up of Quarks.

The Large Hadron Collider has recently been able to prove the existence of Higgs Boson, one of the elementary particles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_particles
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 11:31 AM

For Heaven's sake!, Tpin.

An object falling from rest will accelerate at 32 ft per sec, per sec. The first second the fall is 32 feet, the second second the travel is 64 feet and so on.

This acceleration will increase exponentially until the air pressure against the falling body equals the velocity of the fall, which is circa 132 miles per hour.

A sky diver is doing no more and no less than any pilot, manipulating the airflow to their own needs.

It has absolutely nothing to do with weak gravity. It is you who needs to be educated, my friend.
Fogey
Shropshire

04-10-2017, 11:33 AM

Why do we have tides influencing our oceans?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 11:48 AM

Hi

An explanation of why gravity is by far the weakest of the fundamental forces.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/p...ch-a-weakling/
Fogey
Shropshire

04-10-2017, 12:03 PM

How can you not see that that argument is flawed from the outset.

I repeat, the pin and the magnet are inside the same gravitational field.

If the magnet were outside the gravitational field of the earth and was able to pick up the pin then you could argue that the gravitational field of the earth is weak.

I don't care about the strength of electromagnetic fields, because without gravity there would be no electromagnetic fields.

If you want a simple analogy: A man is in an aeroplane travelling at 500 miles an hour. He runs down the length of the plane, in the direction of flight, at ten miles per hour.

Now, is the man running at 10 mph or 510 mph? Now if the man ran against the direction of flight, would he be running at 10 mph or -490 mph.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

04-10-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
How can you not see that that argument is flawed from the outset.

I repeat, the pin and the magnet are inside the same gravitational field.

If the magnet were outside the gravitational field of the earth and was able to pick up the pin then you could argue that the gravitational field of the earth is weak.

I don't care about the strength of electromagnetic fields, because without gravity there would be no electromagnetic fields.

If you want a simple analogy: A man is in an aeroplane travelling at 500 miles an hour. He runs down the length of the plane, in the direction of flight, at ten miles per hour.

Now, is the man running at 10 mph or 510 mph? Now if the man ran against the direction of flight, would he be running at 10 mph or -490 mph.
Hi

We are composed of matter, matter is composed of atoms.

In the middle of atoms there are protons and neutrons.

Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have a negative charge.

Around them circle electrons.

If gravity was a strong force, stronger than the forces that keep atoms together then we would just be mush, which we obviously are not.

For us to exist, gravity has to be the weakest force.

It is incredibly weak.

I hope this next bit helps'

Electromagnetic and gravitational fields

Sources of electromagnetic fields consist of two types of charge – positive and negative. This contrasts with the sources of the gravitational field, which are masses.

Masses are sometimes described as gravitational charges, the important feature of them being that there are only positive masses and no negative masses.

Further, gravity differs from electromagnetism in that positive masses attract other positive masses whereas same charges in electromagnetism repel each other.

Electromagnetic interaction has a strength of 10 plus 36 zeros, compared to gravity.

I know it is weird and I apologise for my inability to explain it clearly.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
For Heaven's sake!, Tpin.

An object falling from rest will accelerate at 32 ft per sec, per sec. The first second the fall is 32 feet, the second second the travel is 64 feet and so on.

This acceleration will increase exponentially until the air pressure against the falling body equals the velocity of the fall, which is circa 132 miles per hour.

A sky diver is doing no more and no less than any pilot, manipulating the airflow to their own needs.

It has absolutely nothing to do with weak gravity. It is you who needs to be educated, my friend.
As do you...in manners.

Your posting style is one of superiority and tbh, quite pompous....and I ain't yer friend.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2017, 03:33 PM

(Nice job swimfeeders, I came back to edit because I missed your post and apologize for the redundancy. What a well-educated and curious lot here. I am enjoying these posts...)

To your question, gravity and magnetism are two different forces with different properties. From the weakest to the strongest, there are four known forces - gravity, weak force, electromagnetic force (of which magnetism is a subset), and strong force.

Magnetism is produced by the motion of electric charges, the source of which on Earth is typically is ferrous materials whereas the source of production of gravity is still theorized but has not been proven because we have not yet been able to quantize gravitons in the current models.

Gravity and magnetism actually have different properties - among them that magnetism can also repel two objects and that not all materials are magnetic, while all masses have gravity.

Gravity is "weak"...becuase it is is weaker than the other three forces - weak force (like nuclear beta decay), electromagnetic force (of which magnetism is a subset) and strong force (which binds nuclei together). While weak, gravity has a very long range (think of the sun to earth). It always attracts and exists between any two pieces of matter in the universe.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top