Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 07:27 PM

key fob batteries

i have just ordered and fitted new batteries for the wireless car key fobs. I have no idea how long they last but mine have not been changed in 3 years. It use to be part of an annual service, but no more. Mine take CR 2032 button batteries, one in each.

Very easy to fit, just have to make sure the + and - go in the right way around. I did on first, and so as to make sure copied the untouched other one as there is no markings within the fob itself, or none that I could find.

Ordered 2 from the internet and total cost under £5 including VAT and P/P for ones made by Duracell.
I hate to think what a garage would charge for the same job

This is something easily overlooked so worth checking
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 07:49 PM

Re: key fob batteries

In July, I bought Duracell Specialty Type 2032 Lithium Coin Battery, pack of 2
Sold by: Amatec Ltd for £1.96 - Post Free from Amazon!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 07:57 PM

You did well at that price. i normally find Amazon add a bit for handling charge, but not in his case. Not even a P/P charge, got to be sold at a loss to Amazon

Were they for a car key fob? What was the best before date on the packet? on mine it says year 2026

On the Amazon site the pack of 4 in same advert says 2024, so presumably the pack of 2 is the same, which might explain why they are a bit cheaper already 2 years into best before date
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 08:37 PM

I've discarded the packaging. IIRC, I used one of the batteries for a set of kitchen scales. The set of 2 is now only £1.69. They have no BBE date but they have a Guarantee for 10 years in storage with Duralock Power PreserveTM Technology.

ETA, I decided to order another set of 2 at that price .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 09:40 PM

The last time my car key battery ran out, I managed to get one from my local jewellers for a few pounds. It's a problem when they run out because I can still unlock and lock the car manually but can't turn the alarm off (despite trying all the tricks like lock, unlock, lock unlock). I once had to drive 20 miles home with the alarm blasting.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-10-2017, 09:47 PM

With my car i can use a key within the fob to enter it, but have to start with a wireless fob at least in my pocket. The car won't start without the signal from the fob. he car has no ignition key hole
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
With my car i can use a key within the fob to enter it, but have to start with a wireless fob at least in my pocket. The car won't start without the signal from the fob.
I suppose really we should all carry spare batteries.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-10-2017, 09:50 PM

usually Sue and I carry one each as both of us are normally in the car, but only today I did mention we should take both keys if alone incase one failed.
In a car park it is funny to see peoples reaction when the tailgate opens and we are some feet away as they are passing it
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
With my car i can use a key within the fob to enter it, but have to start with a wireless fob at least in my pocket. The car won't start without the signal from the fob. he car has no ignition key hole
Same here. I bought batteries from the internet for a couple of pounds each. The car wont start without the fob, nor move without the driver putting on the seat belt. That had me stumped the first time I wanted to move it two yards and it would not automatically release the handbrake.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2017, 07:44 PM

I usually keep a supply of most battery sizes, AA, AAA, the 2032 and 2025, and the 9v for the smoke alarm.

You can pick up a strip of many sizes, from a pound shop, even.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top