Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 08:27 AM

Re: The Airport Experience. Love it or Hate it?

Hi

Airport Security is essential and prevention is better than cure.

Things are on the move with new technology to make things much easier and quicker and safer for travelers.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/trans...-it-1.665406#2

The sniffers and body scanners can be incorporated into the tunnels.

As an aside, it is UK Technology, but as usual, we are not very good at exploiting what we invent.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've not flown much really but when I have I've found the airport experience all part of the holiday . I've never bought anything from duty free as things are pricy . I'm going to Thailand in March and we are booking a lounge at Heathrow prior , I've not had this experience before I'm told we can have a few drinks and nibbles while we wait . As you can tell I'm a novice really . I can Immagine it must be awful for business flyers .
Hi

There are some new rules in Thailand, you must have some Thai Baht when you arrive.

This is a real pain, because if you take £ you get a much better exchange rates in the booths on the streets in Bangkok.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 08:36 AM

Have used Gatwick many times - yes there have been occasions when things haven't gone so well, but that was because of an intevening weather system which disrupted all flights in and out - the staff at Gatwick and the representatives of the airline could not be held responsible for that. Usuallly I have very little difficulty, I use 'Special assistance' get wheeled in a wheel chair through security and taken to the 'special assistance' area in the departure lounge until the flight is called and the 'special assistance' staff come and collect me and take me to the departure gate and arrange to get me on-board the flight (I have to use the Ambi-lift).
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 08:43 AM

Wishing Tartlet and Muddy nice holidays.

I don't mind airports, or the experience. I love planes, me, and find it all exciting. I very rarely buy food, preferring to take my own. But will either buy a small bottle of water airside, or refill a now empty plastic bottle.

Only used Stansted once and can't remember what it was like. Used to prefer Heathrow for the ease of public transport getting there. Gatwick involved a complex way of struggling up stairs at Victoria with my luggage, and then getting the overground, after using the tube. However, it may be easier, now escalators to street level are open, after years of build. Hurrah!!

Not used Southend, Luton a long time ago with family. City Airport, I flew back into that when leaving Mum in the Athens hospital, and brother collected me in the car.

I think my preference would always be Heathrow.

Would love to pay extra one day to use an exclusive lounge!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 08:53 AM

Nicest airport I've been to is Singapore they have orchids everywhere, very pretty Tobago airport was an experience, the first sign I saw said.... No soliciting

I dislike airports, in fact I hate everything about flying it's just so boing. I would love a beam me up Scottie button that would be heaven.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

There are some new rules in Thailand, you must have some Thai Baht when you arrive.

This is a real pain, because if you take £ you get a much better exchange rates in the booths on the streets in Bangkok.
Thanks swim , I have wondered how to exchange money . Perhaps I'll take £50 in baht then exchange when I'm out there .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 09:13 AM

Strange as it may seem , I find airports are the best place to go to get on a plane. They seem to always have a good choice of aircraft to get on.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Nicest airport I've been to is Singapore they have orchids everywhere, very pretty Tobago airport was an experience, the first sign I saw said.... No soliciting

I dislike airports, in fact I hate everything about flying it's just so boing. I would love a beam me up Scottie button that would be heaven.
I too loved Changhi. I was amazed at how empty it was!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 09:49 AM

Jamaica airport have a strange setup. When we flew there on incoming flights they chacked nothing not passports or baggage. Different on leaving they did check everything. Then had to walk what appeared to be hard stands to get on our plane
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2017, 09:51 AM

They are a means to an end.

Just had a two week break in Majorca, flew from Birmingham airport. Had no hassles, the queues we joined to book in where orderly and got through passport fairly easily at both ends, all made very stress free.

There were some people who left it until the last minute to go through passport control as they always do and expect a quicker service, but hey that was not us so no problems.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top