Join for free
Calcio2
EU ireland
Calcio2 is male  Calcio2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 11:43 PM

Lpg

Just seen a lot of LPG pumps popping up around the place, and some fairly new cars filling up on them too.Can remember my father getting a ford cortina converted in the 1970s ,think he used to start it on petrol and there was a switch on the dash you'd turn to change it over to gas once it was going.also the gas tank was in the boot and took up most of it too. Just watched a video on a modern conversion,the tank is the same shape as a spare wheel and goes into the wheel well so you don't see it,think the ECU has to be fiddled with too.LPG is only a little over half the price of a litre of petrol so it might be worth considering especially on a bigger petrol engine, Also was reading that some commercial van companies are offering gas conversions from the factory.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 10:12 PM

Re: Lpg

I have a car that was professionally converted to run on LPG by a previous owner.
The tank is a toroidal jobby that fits in the spare wheel well. The down side is that I have to carry the spare in the luggage space. As far as I can tell, the original full sized spare was ditched in favour of a space saver.

The car now has a second fuel management system for the LPG. The car is started on petrol then changes automatically over to gas when a certain temperature has been reached.

It reduces the fuel costs by about half as a result, but I'd like to know where all these LPG/autogas pumps are that you mention. They bain't round here.

As far as I know, there is only one place within five miles that sells autogas. The next nearest is about fifteen miles away. A thirty mile round trip to top up is not very economical so journeys have to be well planned, including detours to ensure I can fill up when necessary.

Many M-way service stations don't have gas either, so now on long trips we often play a game of drive in-drive out to see if they have the stuff. We also play the game of spot the three prices, as the third price usually indicates the presence of a gas pump.

On our recent visit to Eire and NI, we only found one LPG pump in several thousand miles of driving, and that had a different coupling to the UK type, so we couldn't even fill up there.

On a side note, I notice more and more electric charging points appearing, and I think that will eventually overtake all other types of "alternative" fuel types.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 10:30 PM

Re: Lpg

I did toy with the idea of converting Beddy at one stage but there is not anywhere within 20 miles where I could get gas.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top