Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Re: Not good enough!!!

Sausages in batter pudding are toad in the hole, sausages wrapped in bacon are pigs in blankets, I've never heard of pigs in blankets made into toad in the hole but that might be because we have never been rich enough to do it, toad on the hole was made to stretch 6 sausages around eight of us, pigs in blankets was a real treat at Christmas because the idea of two meats was not something to contemplate at normal meals.

Another thing we've made to make bacon go further is make it into a Swiss roll of suet pastry and steam it for hours. Two rashers could feed six people that way.

Suet pudding featured high in my past it eked out meat nicely you got one slice of anything or even none and a slab of suet pud in gravy filled you up.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:52 AM

Similar to when I was an unemployed single parent Julie. I would make toad in the hole with two sausages cut up into inch sized pieces in the batter, to feed myself and my teenaged son.

I could also make half a pound of mince give us four meals, adding onion and breadcrumbs, plus beans to one portion, stuffing pancakes with another portion and making pasties using potato and carrot added to the mince.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Similar to when I was an unemployed single parent Julie. I would make toad in the hole with two sausages cut up into inch sized pieces in the batter, to feed myself and my teenaged son.

I could also make half a pound of mince give us four meals, adding onion and breadcrumbs, plus beans to one portion, stuffing pancakes with another portion and making pasties using potato and carrot added to the mince.
Yes that's exactly it ceecee a lot of us have done that sort of thing.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sausages in batter pudding are toad in the hole, sausages wrapped in bacon are pigs in blankets, I've never heard of pigs in blankets made into toad in the hole but that might be because we have never been rich enough to do it, toad on the hole was made to stretch 6 sausages around eight of us, pigs in blankets was a real treat at Christmas because the idea of two meats was not something to contemplate at normal meals.

Another thing we've made to make bacon go further is make it into a Swiss roll of suet pastry and steam it for hours. Two rashers could feed six people that way.

Suet pudding featured high in my past it eked out meat nicely you got one slice of anything or even none and a slab of suet pud in gravy filled you up.

Oh yes Julie darlin' - Bacon pudding - scrumptious!!!

Dragon used to make hers with streaky bacon and then sprinkle sage & onion and Parsley & Thyme stuffing mix over the bacon before rolling and wrapping it in a pudding cloth and boiling it.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:55 PM

I must admit UJ, I've never heard of batter around the sausages, to me that is a Sausage Roll. Pigs in blanket is cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon. Sausages in Yorkshire Batter is Toad in the Hole.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2017, 11:31 PM

Here's a different take on sausages you can try this season.

Get some sausages (not too thick), then take some slices of white bread, crusts removed and roll them completely flat with a rolling pin. Spread some butter on one side and a thin scraping of English mustard (optional) on the other. Cut each slice of bread down the middle to form two strips then roll the strips around the sausages, mustard side against the sausages, making sure that the slices overlap. Place on a baking sheet so that they overlap is on the bottom and cook at 180C until bread is golden brown and crispy.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Never heard of putting batter round a pig in a blanket Uj it's a small sausage in a rasher of bacon here. Or rather a vegetarian sausage in a quorn bacon like wrap
That's my girl!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 06:35 PM

In the U.S., this is Toad in the Hole.

And this is Pigs in a Blanket.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
In the U.S., this is Toad in the Hole.

And this is Pigs in a Blanket.

Can still smother the 'pigs' in batter - would taste fabulous!!!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 06:51 PM

Toad in the hole is not the same dish as pigs in blankets.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top