Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:36 AM

Re: Grandma's Remedies

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Dad would put his head over a bowl of steaming water and cover his head with a towel. This was for a cold I think but don't know what was in the water. It had a smell to it.

Friar's Balsam darlin'.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I believe they used Friars Balsam to inhale in the steam.
I had a nasty accident doing that one day.

I was a few days off my 13th birthday, and Mum had made this bowl of steaming stuff for my cold and bunged up nose.
I had the towel over my head, and when I had finished, I pulled the towel back not knowing it was under the edge of the bowl - until it was too late.
I pulled the bowl of scalding water into my lap.

I remember screaming, and Mum rushing in and pulling my thick woolly stockings off, and seeing my skin come off with them!
Luckily it missed my 'privates' - phew - but I was burned down one thigh from my knicker leg almost down to my knee.
Dad had to come home from work to take me to hospital.
Luckily, I was only left with a scar about 1" big, and even that has faded now.

I never used that darn stuff again.
Friar’s Balsam had an unforgettable smell, didn’t it ... it would get through any blocked nose

That must have been an awful experience for you Mups, and future smells of the balsam would bring back a constant memory for life
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 11:39 AM

I still carry old fashioned smelling salts, great to perk a person up should they feel faint or even clear a blocked nose when you have a cold. Kids cringe when I get them out I can't think of anyone actually enjoys that smell.

Honey and lemon for a cough or sore throat is a favourite too
None of those harsh chemical tablets that knock you out here.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I still carry old fashioned smelling salts, great to perk a person up should they feel faint or even clear a blocked nose when you have a cold. Kids cringe when I get them out I can't think of anyone actually enjoys that smell.

Honey and lemon for a cough or sore throat is a favourite too
None of those harsh chemical tablets that knock you out here.

A cough medicine one can no longer purchase, but which I found very effective on several occasions, - Tincture of Morphine and Ipicacuana.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Friar’s Balsam had an unforgettable smell, didn’t it ... it would get through any blocked nose

That must have been an awful experience for you Mups, and future smells of the balsam would bring back a constant memory for life

Yes, it was pretty awful Mags.
Do you remember years ago when girls used to wear those big frothy brightly coloured stiff net petticoats? Well I was given a bright orange sparkly one for my 13th birthday, and I remember being really upset because I couldn't wear it, as all the layers of stiff netting scratched my poor legs.

I was frightened of anything hot, even an iron, for ages afterwards.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
A cough medicine one can no longer purchase, but which I found very effective on several occasions, - Tincture of Morphine and Ipicacuana.
I remember my nan having that many years ago was only thing helped her in the winter. Too addictive though for many.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

I know you can still get the homeopathic form of Ipecac Joe, but that's perhaps not the same, and it wouldn't have the morphine.

https://www.homeopathicremediesblog....medies/ipecac/
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, it was pretty awful Mags.
Do you remember years ago when girls used to wear those big frothy brightly coloured stiff net petticoats? Well I was given a bright orange sparkly one for my 13th birthday, and I remember being really upset because I couldn't wear it, as all the layers of stiff netting scratched my poor legs.

I was frightened of anything hot, even an iron, for ages afterwards.
It must have been an awful time for you Mups .

I remember those stiff net petticoats, I had a pink one
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:01 PM

For coughs and colds - Lemonade heated up in a saucepan.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Boric acid powder for infections

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top