Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 10:56 PM

Re: Dahlias

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
My s-i-l is a dahlia judge and chairman of a society. He grows all his show dahlias from plantlets cut from his original tuber stock, then throws the tubers away

CeeCee, do you happen to know the answer to my question in that case? Do plantlets develop tubers eventually?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
CeeCee, do you happen to know the answer to my question in that case? Do plantlets develop tubers eventually?
I will ask my s-i-l this evening.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Oh gosh, I could never have thrown any tubers away!!
For me, dahlias were like potato chips, you can't have just one or two...!
He grows hundreds, in his greenhouse and a large poly tunnel on one of his three allotments.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:11 AM

I will ask my s-i-l this evening.
Thanks very much CeeCee.
CeeCee
UK

03-01-2018, 08:45 PM

Mups, I have phoned my s-i-l and he said that some dahlias do develop tubers and some do not. His opinion is that if you are buying them mail order then in all likelihood they will develop tubers.

He said that when you plant plantlets up in compost, whatever you do, do not over-water. The compost must be kept on the dry side of damp, or the roots will rot. In June when they are established, pot on and feed regularly, that way they should form tubers.

Hope that helps?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:55 PM

Certainly helps me..thanks CeeCee
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 09:00 PM

I think Dahlias are very pretty, I don't grow them though because I really dislike earwigs. I have no idea why they are attracted to Dahlias but they are ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-01-2018, 09:46 PM

Mups, I have phoned my s-i-l and he said that some dahlias do develop tubers and some do not. His opinion is that if you are buying them mail order then in all likelihood they will develop tubers.

He said that when you plant plantlets up in compost, whatever you do, do not over-water. The compost must be kept on the dry side of damp, or the roots will rot. In June when they are established, pot on and feed regularly, that way they should form tubers.

Hope that helps?

Thank you CeeCee, you're a gem.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-03-2018, 10:23 PM

Rehab, in answer to your post about your Dahlias coming from Suttons, I agree, I am surprised they are sending them out already.
Mind you, I assume they will be as dry tubers? These have been in the shops and garden centres for a little while now, so maybe it's not too early after all.
Will you start them off yet, or wait till next month?

I ordered those young plantlets in the end, that I said about earlier.
I phoned them and asked if they will grow tubers later on, and was assured they would.
I've ordered from these people this time, have a look, they've got some beauties.

https://www.hallsofheddon.com/produc...ory/1-dahlias/

They said on the weather tonight here, it will turn cold again next week, but not as cold as we had a week or two back.

Happy growing.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2018, 10:28 PM

I will start them off immediately Mups, laying them on damp compost in seed trays , in the dining room, warm with plenty of light. Spray with warm water 3/4times a day, when the shoots are about an inch or so tall I will cut them off and pot on. Time consuming but worth it

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top