Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Stoma-versary

The choice for me two years ago was to have a stoma and live or die from cancer. Not only for those of us with cancer and those with Crohn's or IBD, this is a lifesaver. I have learned to live a normal life with an ileostomy, I eat normal foods without restriction and the majority of my friends are not even aware of this addition to my life.

This, for younger people is very much a hidden problem which elicits nasty comments when using disabled toilets (an essential, as one needs access to water and space). I carry spare supplies in a make-up bag, but in the two years have never had to use them.

From the BBC website today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42365947
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:13 AM

Re: Stoma-versary

Why should anyone make nasty comments?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why should anyone make nasty comments?
Because there is no visible sign of being disabled.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:24 AM

i dont know where all these people are that make nasty comments because someone doesn't look disabled .
I have sometimes used the disabled loo if it is the only one vacant .
I am not disabled and no one makes nasty comments .
People in public loos tend not to make any comments at all!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:31 AM

It's a big problem people just don't engage brain before speaking these days. Not just toilets but parking spaces people are too stupid to realise the disability may not be visible.

Several members of my extended family had either catheters or stoma bags or both. They all had problems with idiots and their comments.

We have problems now with people not understanding that some disabliities aren't constant I might walk into a shop but need a chair to get back to the car. It was even worse when grace was in a wheelchair the comments about her being too big for a push chair really tested my pacifist views !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Maybe I live in a part of the country that doesn't make personal remarks on people in shops /parking /toilets .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:37 AM

Get out more or believe what you are told a big more would help muddy. When people post their personal experiences don't assume they are not telling the truth.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:40 AM

We had nasty remarks several times when grandson needed his insulin injection and we took him in the disabled toilet to do it.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:44 AM

Muddy, also from the BBC website:

The mother of one says she often faces hostility when trying to use public disabled toilets.
Natalie explains: "Each and every time I have been met with verbal and physical abuse by both the able-bodied and visibly disabled communities, for trying to access facilities I am fully entitled to use."
This has ranged from being manhandled to being rammed by disability-scooter users.
She continues: "Every stomite [a person who wears a stoma] I have spoken to has experienced similar situations to myself. One of my friends even stopped going out because of the abuse."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42179173
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-01-2018, 11:52 AM

Well all I can say is where on earth do you live ?
I have never witnessed nasty remarks in public toilets re disabled people .
Really I have not.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top