Join for free
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 11:02 AM

Coenzymw Q10

For a while now I have had problems with aching calf muscles when I go hiking more than about 7 or 8 miles a day, especially uphill,and I can tell that this is more than normally being unfit

My doctor can't seem to find a cause or a cure, so I was thinking of trying Coenzyme Q10 tablets
They might also help deal with my diabetes and blood pressure

I can't find any serious side effects, and I'm thinking that even if they don't do any good there's no harm in trying them

Any comments, please?
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 11:15 AM

Re: Coenzymw Q10

From the web.

"Other reported side effects include rashes, nausea, upper abdominal pain, dizziness, sensitivity to light, irritability, headache, heartburn, and fatigue. Medicines for high cholesterol (statins) and medicines that lower blood sugar cause a decrease of CoQ10 levels and reduce the effects of CoQ10 supplements."
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 11:33 AM

I remember a few years ago we were all recommended to give them to kids to help memory and brains. I decided anything to help concentration at the time was worth doing because Nathan was going through a period of playing up at school because he was bored. So I gave him one each morning for a week, by end of the week he was wearing sunglasses, this was February ! He had a mystery rash we were applying cream to, and his temper was up, normally such a load back chap he was shouting at his brother !

Stopped them and it took two weeks for him to get back to normal, and after a good talk we realised his boredom at school was because he couldn't hear the teacher, so trip to GP and ears syringed and all was cured.

I'm not saying don't take them but be aware they can cause problems and you need to watch out for them.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 11:51 AM

If it were me, I would be looking at the supply of blood to the muscles, which would include congestive heart failure, Claudication and the like.

Mind, after 7-8 miles it could be as simple as old age catching up with you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 12:32 PM

You may have read this already Zulu, but I'll post the link incase you haven't.
I do think Fogey may have a point about claudication though.
Best check it out.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...0/art-20362602
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
For a while now I have had problems with aching calf muscles when I go hiking more than about 7 or 8 miles a day, especially uphill,and I can tell that this is more than normally being unfit

My doctor can't seem to find a cause or a cure, so I was thinking of trying Coenzyme Q10 tablets
They might also help deal with my diabetes and blood pressure

I can't find any serious side effects, and I'm thinking that even if they don't do any good there's no harm in trying them

Any comments, please?
Did you ask your doctor about this?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top