Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Re: Day to Day food

Don't think I will have the Octopus.
I also have loads of Herbs and Spices.
Julie's Chicken and Mushrooms sounds nice.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 11:31 PM

I like starting the day with a Turkish breakfast. It has no sugar content, so there's no energy high.......or low........so the calories last longer:

Half a fresh tomatoe, few slices of cucumber, a couple of olives, two teaspoons of cottage cheese and a hard boiled egg. Around 125 calories
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 11:52 PM

I think many of us get stuck in a rut with cooking, we get used to cooking a meat a certain way and serve it with certain sides. Mum insists on baby boils with roast lamb for example, a meal I myself couldn't sit down to enjoy

We eat a lot of chicken, I think it's on the menu 3 or 4 times this week, the challenge is how to make it all taste so different it doesn't matter

Every now and then I go through my cook books and decide on a dish to try. If it goes down well it will be cooked again, if not, well we tried something different.

I love my herbs and spices , they can transform anything. That old fav of mince and potatoes? I heave at the thought of it, yet a keema curry ( mince potatoes and peas) I'll Wolfe down and eat seconds

It's getting a good repotoire of dishes so the same meals aren't duplicated too often that's the key.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Don't think I will have the Octopus.
Perhaps that is why you are fed up with your day to day food; you are a fussy eater and won't try something new. Do you think?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 07:12 AM

I like to experiment with new dishes I have never made before. But I love to make one pot dishes that we can eat for 2-3 days. There is a fair bit of choice and always a new dish to try. Or combining food in a different way. e.g. carrot and potato mash instead of just potatoes. Whizzing up a new soup from scratch is always good because it's also healthy and nutritious. Or trying new ingredients in an omelette (e.g. celery, spinach, smoked salmon all make for an interesting meal).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Perhaps that is why you are fed up with your day to day food; you are a fussy eater and won't try something new. Do you think?
I'm ok with octopus as long as I don't start thinking of all the tentacles. ... It's really delicious if you don't think about the fact that it's like a big bug
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 08:51 AM

I do like Squid but looking at your dish with the Tentacles all over the plate puts me off. I would try different things, but I have a Husband who only likes plain English food and i'm not cooking two different dishes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I also cook all my food from scratch but still get bored.
Nice and healthy dinner today of:

Smoked Haddock, boiled potatoes, fine beans and carrots.
Susie you could use the smoked haddock in a kedgeree and have a side salad of dressed green leaves.

I love 'Steve's Leaves' and can eat them with most things.
Stockists here..
http://stevesleaves.co.uk/our-range
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am never bored with food, like cooking and make everything from scratch.
My problem is there are too many things from which to choose .
I have so many collected recipes, I could never possibly make them all in a lifetime. Tons of recipe books, online recipe collections, several card files packed full of recipes ranging from newer ones I've found myself to old recipes handed down from my mother.

Although I love cooking and love trying new things, I tend to be a creature of habit and resort back to old favorites.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I like starting the day with a Turkish breakfast. It has no sugar content, so there's no energy high.......or low........so the calories last longer:

Half a fresh tomatoe, few slices of cucumber, a couple of olives, two teaspoons of cottage cheese and a hard boiled egg. Around 125 calories
There's a place near me that serves Turkish breakfast - very healthy.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top