Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 05:34 PM

Does ‘Waste’ Grieve You?

I suppose from having to scrat when l was first married so that we could pay the mortgage, l hate waste!

As l was ill over Christmas and didn’t feel like eating, there were things in my fridge that went out of date and l had to bin them!

I had to bin a whole pack of lovely pate with an onion relish topping that I bought from Sainsbury’s and a whole pack of Costello blue cheese plus other bits and pieces.

Yes, l could’ve chanced it and eaten them but what if l had got food poisoning, would it have been worth it?

Do you hate waste in any way or form, not just food waste?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 05:38 PM

Re: Does ‘Waste’ Grieve You?

I too have thrown foods away when I've been ill, or have even fiven away to next door neighbour.

I buy food and don't end up cooking it, because of having something else for main meal, and it gets wasted. Vegetables, for instance.

Yup. Hate waste. But can't get out of the habit.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I suppose from having to scrat when l was first married so that we could pay the mortgage, l hate waste!

As l was ill over Christmas and didn’t feel like eating, there were things in my fridge that went out of date and l had to bin them!

I had to bin a whole pack of lovely pate with an onion relish topping that I bought from Sainsbury’s and a whole pack of Costello blue cheese plus other bits and pieces.

Yes, l could’ve chanced it and eaten them but what if l had got food poisoning, would it have been worth it?

Do you hate waste in any way or form, not just food waste?

Absolutely Angel darlin'. If the blue cheese was a little ripe, make some soup with it!!! I never pay heed to 'sell by' or 'use by' dates - if it smells/tastes ok then I use it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 05:47 PM

I hate waste too.
However as long as someone eats it i.e. The dog or the birds .
I have on many occasions eating out have brought home a 'doggy' bag if I have left over meat .
Anything that can go on the bird table goes out there .
The rooks usually make short work of it .
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 06:25 PM

I waste very little, lots of foods can be frozen and that’s what I do if I think I cannot use them before best before by dates. Vegetables I put in the pressure cooker with a stock cube or two and make soups. Leftovers from previous meal will be eaten next day possibly for lunch, or frozen for another day. I don’t have any pets to give leftovers to but the birds get any bread. Yes, I hate waste, I guess it was the way I was brought up.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 06:47 PM

I'm being very wasteful at the moment. Its one of those changes I need to make.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 06:50 PM

Yes Artangel

"Waste not Want not"

As children we were admonished for leaving food as there were thousands of starving children in Africa!
I wondered if our left over food, would be suitable to feed anyone.

I do not like waste and know how to be thrifty, although it is a 'Throw away Society'
I know many young people who bin T Shirts and buy new every week.
I have still got British Clothes beautifully made 30 years old
that have come back into fashion.

With food, I freeze some so it is not wasted and make soup with vegetables and blend them. Much better than tinned soup.

Old T Shirts are cut up for cleaning art brushes or they make good throw away dusters and so do men's underpants.
At least the large ones do!!

I have just found out how to nice warm leggings out of old Woolly jumpers, on You Tube or Pintrest.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:03 PM

I don't waste much in the way of food. I just eat it all which works for me.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't waste much in the way of food. I just eat it all which works for me.
Longy, l think you could be described as a ‘human dustbin’?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Longy, l think you could be described as a ‘human dustbin’?
I don't eat the packaging of course, I recycle that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top