Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 07:53 PM

Re: Men's Sheds

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%..._Men.27s_Sheds

This it?
Thanks, that's the one, I live in a one bedroom flat so I can't have my own shed.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 12:53 AM

Yes, they are very popular in Australia and the gov't helps finance them because they do so much good for the mental and physical health of many older men. There is even one in the grounds of my mother's nursing home as it was thought that nursing homes often don't provide the sorts of activities men might like to do. There are over 800 in Australia.

The Australian link is here:

http://www.mensshed.org/home/.aspx

And this is the one in our suburb:

http://www.westmoonahcommunityhouse.com/shed.html
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 10:47 AM

Whoever thought of this is brilliant,..I see 'Menssheds' are all over Scotland too,so there's no need to be sad and lonely feeling useless etc',just find out if There's one near You,;~)
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 11:11 AM

The Mens sheds scheme was not intended to be some major, serious discussion group for lonely old men and their psychological problems.
It was to provide somewhere for men to have a chat and share doing hobbies and so on.

Unfortunately the press have seized on the loneliness and problems aspect and blown it up out of all proportion, which puts a lot of people (men) off the scheme

It is supposed to be more like the setup outlined by gumbud - just a few blokes pottering about, fixing an old car or something, drinking tea and putting the world to rights

I, too live in a one - bedroomed flat, but even before that when I lived in a house with a garage I was interested in Menssheds.
Unfortunately There are none in my area and I can't find anyone interested in starting one
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 12:58 PM

Nearest one to me is Bedford, 15 miles away.
http://menssheds.org.uk/find-a-shed/
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 01:54 PM

then the obvious answer is to try and start one in your own area - yes I know it may take some efforr but life was never meant to effortless!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Nearest one to me is Bedford, 15 miles away.
http://menssheds.org.uk/find-a-shed/
There appears to be a Shed in my village 100 yards from my door I wonder if they will let me join

Purwell I too think you should start your own , perhaps someone will let you hold the sessions in their shed if you don't have one .
Try advertising for interested people, the library and doctors surgery would be a good place to start.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 03:46 PM

The nearest shed to me is 8 miles away - can't see hubby wandering off to that
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2015, 12:57 AM

There appears to be a Shed in my village 100 yards from my door I wonder if they will let me join
only if you wear the trademark dungarees and a cap!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

17-09-2015, 05:08 AM

Is "Cell Block H" still showing in Oz?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top