Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 11:20 AM

Re: Guest ?

Good point, Tangle. Let's not call them guests anymore. They're just...uhmm..pretend guests.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Why does an interested reader that visits any Forum or site need a label or be defined by a word !
They don't really Solo anyone can 'read' the site as a guest you don't need a label for that but you need to be a member to take part.

Most people here probably have been guests at some time reading before they join or log on
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 11:33 AM

Aren't we all defined by a word or two? No, some people are defined by a number.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
Aren't we all defined by a word or two? No, some people are defined by a number.

Remember a guest is not just for Christmas, they can hang on into the New Year.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox

17-12-2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->

Remember a guest is not just for Christmas, they can hang on into the New Year.
Sure, I believe you number 1.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 12:10 PM

I often worry these Guests are secretly laughing at us, not with us.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 12:16 PM

I think most have missed the point about "Guests" on forum sites.

Guests are in the main, people reading the forum who have not bothered to log in. Therefore you will find that most of them are actual members here but are just reading through the latest posts.

I too was a "Guest" immediately before logging in to post this response.

You can prove this to yourself very easily.

1. Ensure you are logged out of the system
2. Go to the HOME page of this forum
3. Note the numbers at the bottom of that page which shows Members and Guests
4. Now quickly log in
5. Then look at the numbers on that home page again

You will see that the Guests have reduced by 1 and members has increased by 1

This comes back to the principles of computer security and the laziness or indifference of some to security issues. There are those people out there who tick the boxes when asked "Do you want the computer to remember your password" etc so that they never have to bother entering passwords. Whenever they go to those websites they will be logged in automatically or at the least the login boxes will be auto-populated. So those people will always appear as members of forum sites. They will also be the people most likely to contract computer virus and have their identities stolen. Their choice.

The rest of the world sensibly remains as anonymous as possible at all times. There is no need to log into any forum unless you are ready to make an actual post. You can read all the latest material without logging in. You can't see any PMs of course but then how many of those do people get anyway?

Nuff said.

Bottom line, Guests are mostly members who haven't logged in or people who don't yet want to be members but just enjoy reading the site material.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I know - what I mean is I knew what you meant
Interesting play of words, Patsy. So, we all know now what you knew. Question is, is all that you think you knew is actually what you know ????
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2015, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The indexing bots and spiders are to be welcomed Rodolfo they help people to find us when doing a Google search ...
To find us ?? Man, I don't like that idea. I don't want anyone to find me. If I did, I would have signed up on a dating site
eyes_of_a_painter
n

17-12-2015, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I often worry these Guests are secretly laughing at us, not with us.
Yeah.. I understand your theory. People look to criticize others at parties. Why that happens is quite simple. People feel weak inside and by finding imperfections on others it sort of validates them in the fact, that other people out there are as imperfect as themselves

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top