Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 05:58 AM

Re: The Immigration Question

Originally Posted by May ->
You eejits in England thought You would get rid of the Immigrants when You voted for brexit...How are You all feeling now eh?
What a thoroughly idiotic and unpleasant post even for you May....
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 10:58 AM

Strong unions and fair employment legislation are the answer. Everyone who works in a job gets the same wage scale, so there's no undercutting by foreign workers.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 11:43 AM

You eejits in England thought You would get rid of the Immigrants when You voted for brexit...How are You all feeling now eh?
Careful you don't make a disparaging or racist remark about the English May tolerance is at an all-time low on here didn't ya know.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:37 AM

I'm feeling a little frustrated with the slow progress of Brexit, but at least we are on the right track. Most of us saw the vote as the first step in a process of removing our country from the clutches of a corrupt unaccountable bureaucracy. Only the most simple would have envisaged an immediate exit followed by an immediate end to EU immigration. As to non-EU immigration, Brexit is pretty irrelevant.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
What an unpleasant and disheartening view of the British mind-set this thread reveals. I wonder if we will ever shrug off this inbred island mentality and became citizens of the world. Growth, development and evolution come with interaction, not stagnation.
Which is why many of us on the left who voted to Leave the EU did so. We felt that trade and cultural interaction with the whole world (rather than the 28 nations of the EU) was so much more in our long term interests than slavishly clinging to a crumbling bureaucratic sham which is not working in anyone's interests but corporate capitalism.

We are all residents of the world, but citizenship implies rights and responsibilities in both directions. We may be concerned about "the world" but "the world" isn't concerned about us in the least. We all have different allegiances - national and local. Personally, I feel I am very much part of "the world", much less so part of "Europe", not that much part of "Britain", but very much part of "England." That is not mindless nationalism - I am not proud of being English (how can I be proud of something that wasn't my choice - I was just lucky enough to be born here) but I feel extremely fortunate to have been born in one of the safest, most friendly and welcoming countries in the world.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I'm feeling a little frustrated with the slow progress of Brexit, but at least we are on the right track. Most of us saw the vote as the first step in a process of removing our country from the clutches of a corrupt unaccountable bureaucracy. Only the most simple would have envisaged an immediate exit followed by an immediate end to EU immigration. As to non-EU immigration, Brexit is pretty irrelevant.
Another spanner in the works, according to the news. They have now decided to put the terms of Brexit to a vote in the Commons, unless I'm very much mistaken.

I, too, was hoping for a quick Brexit, though not without due care in how it is done. It now sounds as if the many politicians who didn't like the result of the referendum might be able to delay it or even stop it!

Is that democracy, politicians making decisions to suit their own wants before those of the electorate?

If it is put to the vote as to whether or not we should leave, or under which specific terms we might leave, I only hope that each individual MP's vote is published so that their electorates can have the final say at the end of the day.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Another spanner in the works, according to the news. They have now decided to put the terms of Brexit to a vote in the Commons, unless I'm very much mistaken.

I, too, was hoping for a quick Brexit, though not without due care in how it is done. It now sounds as if the many politicians who didn't like the result of the referendum might be able to delay it or even stop it!

Is that democracy, politicians making decisions to suit their own wants before those of the electorate?

If it is put to the vote as to whether or not we should leave, or under which specific terms we might leave, I only hope that each individual MP's vote is published so that their electorates can have the final say at the end of the day.

Ever heard of Hansard???
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ever heard of Hansard???
Does Hansard publicise how each individual MP votes on a motion? I didn't know that.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 11:36 AM

Laughing at the Scots who think they can get into the EU without us
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-10-2016, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Laughing at the Scots who think they can get into the EU without us

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top