Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Re: Does Britain need foreign workers?

I'm baffled what we did prior to Eastern European countries joining Eu, were apples rotting on trees, cows unmilked, no one serving coffee or cleaning offices etc ? I seem to recall in my little bit of the world we didn't suffer for lack of coffee and our offices were cleaned by British people. We don't have many cows or apples in Woking high street

So why are we so sure we need Eastern European cheap labour ? Or is it cheap that we are saying we want ? That we are not willing to pay a reasonable wage for a decent days work ?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Quote from article in the guardian.
A favourite argument of those who oppose immigration is that migrant workers "take our jobs". The Day the Immigrants Left, presented by Evan Davies (BBC1), went to Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, a town with thousands of eastern European workers and 2,000 local people on the dole. The producers arranged for 12 of the latter to replace 12 of the former for two days to see if they were as ready, willing and able to work at anything as a) they claimed and b) their immigrant counterparts were.
..and of course we all know how fair-minded and unbiassed the BBC and the Guardian are about immigration and the EU. It's a bit like asking Britain First to make a documentary about the benefits of immigration.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm baffled what we did prior to Eastern European countries joining Eu, were apples rotting on trees, cows unmilked, no one serving coffee or cleaning offices etc ? I seem to recall in my little bit of the world we didn't suffer for lack of coffee and our offices were cleaned by British people. We don't have many cows or apples in Woking high street

So why are we so sure we need Eastern European cheap labour ? Or is it cheap that we are saying we want ? That we are not willing to pay a reasonable wage for a decent days work ?
Hi

We still had Foreign Workers here.

If you call £35k a year, with a 100% Bonus if you meet agreed targets plus totally free housing, no bills at all, not a reasonable wage, you are living in cloud Cuckoo Land.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If you call £35k a year, with a 100% Bonus if you meet agreed targets plus totally free housing, no bills at all, not a reasonable wage, you are living in cloud Cuckoo Land.
Actually back in the sixties crowds of washerwomen and some blokes used to assemble in the village where I lived waiting for the farmer to come with his tractor and trailer and transport them to the fields to pick the crops. Not a foreign gadge in sight. During the summer holidays I would be with them to make a bit of pocket money. Bloody hard work if I recall, but those washerwomen knew how to work.

Now they all assemble down the jobcentre instead, 'bugger that' they say.
It's called progress....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 12:01 PM

Sounds like something out of Catherine Cookson !
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 12:01 PM

Hi

Not many jobs like that about, not even down here in the supposedly affluent part of the Country.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Sounds like something out of Catherine Cookson !
You've given me an idea Muddy.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 12:15 PM

Hi

And if you think all the jobs attract that figure you are bonkers, it's cheap labour we keep being told that's nmw or even lower. Your friend who supposedly pays these figures you quote is not common I can assure you after the last time you quoted them I suggested a few people I know apply for these wonderful jobs and no one came back with anything more than nmw.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-01-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Not many jobs like that about, not even down here in the supposedly affluent part of the Country.
Exactly I am seriously doubting the figures myself.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Exactly I am seriously doubting the figures myself.
Hi

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/farm-manager

If you manage a massive poultry farm you get more.

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top