Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:50 PM

Re: Specsavers

Good question Rachel.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
My nearest one is doing eye tests for a fiver.
Looked elsewhere and some places (eg Wales) are doing them free
I never pay for an eye test, many opticians do them free of charge
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 12:56 AM

My one does over 60's eye tests free.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
My mum would like to say thankyou to this forum..

I cant remember who posted the tip about Asda but I passed the info on to mum who has had an awful time in the past with specsavers who lost her frame, gave her the wrong lenses, then the lenses fell out of the frames as she tried on the glasses ..
She was desperate to find somewhere else she could afford to get some varifocals from..

With a little reservation she went to Asda and is over the moon with the kind service and extra help she got from them and she is now the proud owner of 2 pairs of varifocals she says they have all the bells and whistles on..

Shes a very happy lady!
Glad to hear it Cass!

Think it might have been me as I'd done a survey online about specs and they offered to beat whoever I used.

Still bought them in Specsavers though.

I am long-sighted and I have to have a prism like someone else mention yet my glasses are lighter than the last ones and feel a bit more comfortable to me.

My last one cost me £60 but these ones cost £45 and I didn't feel like going over to ASDA but maybe I will next time.
I had Varifocals a while back as I had to keep putting glasses on then taking them off all the time because of the job that I do but I never really got on with them as the point where they graduated seemed to always be where I wanted to look so half the time they were halfway down my nose!

I don't remember how much they were but I think it was about £160.

I work fine with the fixed ones now, probably because my long -sight's got worse! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:06 AM

It's amazing how our eyes change over the years I am slightly short sighted now in one eye and dramatically short sighted apparently in the other I am sure they started out the same and have been with me doing the same things all their lives but have changed at different rates. Most puzzling.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Good grief !!!
Who would be silly enough to do that ?
No idea. Just saying.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 09:58 AM

We both had our eyes checked last week (Free in Scotland) at a local opticians and got a note of the prescriptions. Then we went to ASDA in Aberdeen to choose frames. Their "designer" frames, complete with lenses (single and vari-focal), coatings and tinting (if required) cost £75 for one pair or £99 for 2. Dianne got her last set of glasses there and was very impressed with their range, price and service.
My glasses were ready within 2 days, but Dianne wears vari-focals and hers will take a little longer.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 05:38 PM

I have to say,Specsavers was a 'Once!' experience for me. I had to sit looking into their machine,the usual things...but in the middle of the shop. They sat me down,asked the usual questions about type of lens,frame,etc..and got REALLY snotty when I produced my own frames and said "Put the lenses in these". All sorts of reasons why they couldn't were produced...at which point I got a tad miffed,as some fat bloke who considered himself both important and tough started telling me it was their way or no way.....and this was AFTER they'd taken my frames out the back. I became a tad less than jovial and explained that we were in the middle of his large,open-fronted shop...and if he didn't want to wake up with pipe up his nose,he could get his chubby arse out the back and retrieve my frames [three sets of frames,actually]. Well,cutting it short-they'd managed,in ten minutes,to 'lose' my three sets of glasses. So-because we had quite a large audience by this time-I was offered three frames of my choice FREE [Oh,BIG deal...I already HAD three 'free' sets of frames-until they lost them!] and I had to pay for only TWO sets of lenses. Oh,ffs! Ok-I'm now fed up. Right-I'll be back in a fortnight to collect three sets of varifocal spectacles;good day. I walked out,accompanied by loud comments from onlookers who had enjoyed the show. Three weeks later I arrive to collect my three sets of varifocal spectacles-[one set of which is free,as are the frames,remember]
Right...Specsavers then proudly bring out my three sets of....bi-focals!
....and then presented me with a bill for £285!
I did NOT buy them,but I did take and keep,the bill.
The fat bloke got quite upset when I told him where to put them.

I went along the road to Boots...had a free [and private] eye test.
A fortnight later I collected three sets of varifocals...which are excellent.
Total cost,£165,+ £10 for progressive shading in the lenses.
Plus Nina,the Boots optician,is superbly competent.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 05:54 PM

The eye test is free if you are 60 or over or Diabetic.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Good question Rachel.

Decided the varifocals do not tick the box.

I need my çomputer specs, which are fairly large and nerdy, for 'doing stuff' (photo restorations etc).

So I intend changing the varifocals for bifocals.

This way I can look at TV and then read/use iPad at close range using one pair of specs and diddle around on here with my 'nerdies'

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top