Join for free
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 01:19 PM

peas in the pods ''

moving soon to a garden which has a plot for veg' if i want to start .. can any one tell me about peas '
are they easy to grow' and how do i start ,in a pot /or ground /all suggestions would be a great help ... flowers iam good with -but never really been a veg grower ... but willing to learn ..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Re: peas in the pods ''

Open up a shallow trench about 2 ins deep,6ins wde and as long as you want. Set the seeds about 2ins apart 3 peas across the trench along it's entire length and cover over with about an inch of soil. Cover over with netting or the birds will decimate them when they come through. When about 4ins tall take away the netting and provide support for the peas (pea sticks or canes). Spray with pest killer or the peas will be full of grubs. An easier way is to nip down to Iceland for a packet of peas. I gave up growing peas many years ago............too much trouble.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
An easier way is to nip down to Iceland for a packet of peas. I gave up growing peas many years ago............too much trouble.
Lol Alan
Having read up on veggie growing and having a dislike of using pesticides, I gave peas a miss and grew runner or French climbing beans.

These are great just so long as you fence them off from your tortoises !!!
Not only will they eat the leaves, they also go on the rampage and trample all over the young plants.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:19 PM

thanks for that lol... food for thought ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:25 PM

I find out of all the vegetables, peas are something you can't really improve on by growing yourself . The only way they taste as good or better than Birds Eye frozen Petit Pois is if you pick them when they are very tiny and stand in the garden eating them from the pod
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Broad beans are a better bet Toffee - not so much trouble and a row of them produces about twice the weight of a row of peas.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 07:02 PM

Personally I agree with Meg, but I do grow sugar snaps which I cannot resist in season straight off the plant into the pot....
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:28 PM

mange tout or sugar snap peas that you eat young including the pods are delicious and easy. I don't do the trench thing. I just put in some twiggy sticks for support, scrape out a little row about an inch deep sprinkle in the peas, cover them up and water them in. Easy peasy

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top