Join for free
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Re: Burqa ban

I don't mind what other people wear or would interfere in other countries customs. I do feel a bit sad when I see young mum's with their faces covered. It seems sort of dated somehow
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
No - but there should be
I hope not Patsy I have a chest condition which means I must not breath in very cold air so I wear a neck snood with toggle pulled up to my eyes when it is cold. I get some odd looks but don't care

Where would you draw the line, having people carry a medical certificate and disallowing the wearing of scarves pulled up in the winter.

Once you start making silly laws all sorts of people have their rights removed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I hope not Patsy I have a chest condition which means I must not breath in very cold air so I wear a neck snood with toggle pulled up to my eyes when it is cold. I get some odd looks but don't care

Where would you draw the line, having people carry a medical certificate and disallowing the wearing of scarves pulled up in the winter.

I agree Meg only reason I believe we should ban it is young girls are being forced to wear it and they will not remove them when necessary. If it was truly voluntary and they would all remove them when required I would be completely in agreement with you.

I bet you remove your head covering if someone can't understand you or in a shop or bank etc.

But we cannot have laws saying no one can cover up ever, been on a few marches where you don't want to be identified and wear a mask - peaceful marches but with the government watching you people have to have a right to cover up.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 09:41 AM

My rights are already in tatters ..I wear my tinted glasses for an eye problem yet I have to remove them at security checks . Some shops also ban sunglasses normally when I explain and as my glasses clear indoors the shop allows me in.. I never moan, I understand the importance of being able to see who you are dealing with but then the same rule should be in force for all..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 09:48 AM

Your situation is not the same Meg
We all know what a burqa looks like - and I'm sure you would lower your scarf when entering shops etc .......
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 09:50 AM

I have never had a problem wearing sunglasses in shops.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
My rights are already in tatters ..I wear my tinted glasses for an eye problem yet I have to remove them at security checks . Some shops also ban sunglasses normally when I explain and as my glasses clear indoors the shop allows me in.. I never moan, I understand the importance of being able to see who you are dealing with but then the same rule should be in force for all..
Cass I quite agree that for things like a security check and as I have already stated in a court of law peoples should comply when asked to remove anything obscuring their face but that is not the same as a blanket ban on people covering their faces or wearing a burqa.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-05-2015, 09:55 AM

Cass I quite agree that for things like a security check and as I have already stated in a court of law peoples should comply when asked to remove anything obscuring their face but that is not the same as a blanket ban on people covering their faces or wearing a burqa.
Yep think I am in complete agreement with you really (we'll be called the C word at this rate ).
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 10:19 AM

I was in a queue in the Pharmacy a little while back and a woman in front turned to ask me something.

She had a burqa on and so I couldn't read her lips.

I told her that I am deaf and because she chooses to wear a burqa I cannot understand her due to my disability!

She turned back but the person in front then turned to her and said something - snapped in fact.

I think I know what was said - used to that. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Yes that's the biggest problem with them I would say. Rights are odd things we all want them and they only really work well if they don't cause problems for other people it's a minefield getting it right I guess.

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top