Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Raven
Birmingham. UK
Raven is female 

05-04-2016, 12:07 PM

Help!

Having only recently joined this site,and am new to chat forums,i am a bit mystified as to a few things. Can somebody enlighten me please on certain aspects of protocol and questions about chat sites.
There do not seem to be any people from the area i live,using this site. Would it be better to cast my net wider,and use other site's,in the hope that there would be. I have noticed that many of the members on here,are also members on other sites,is this the reason for being on different sites,or is it that online friends move on to other sites as a group?
Ie:If one goes,the others follow?
Also,how do online people become friends and real friends not just names on a screen? Is it impolite not to accept a friend request and do people accept friend requests to be polite? All answers greatly recieved.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 12:30 PM

Re: Help!

Hi Raven - I never understand why people prefer members from their own area - I don't even check where people are from - the only thing that interests me is how a person posts, if they are warm and sincere I will do a friends request - if I get it wrong, I delete them
Friendship is important to me, not just the thing to do
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 12:40 PM

If it's friends from your area you want then try local sites.

Most sites attract members from all over, even different countries which adds to the attraction.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 12:42 PM

As has been already said really if you want only people from your own area then local sites are for you, personally I like hearing from around the world.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 12:47 PM

There's only a couple of people on here from my area but, I don't mind I like to hear about other places. If you make friends with people and they happen to be visiting your area it's nice to meet them in person.
The World's getting smaller!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Hi Raven - it doesn't matter where people come from if you like their posts and find them interesting. As you settle into the site you will feel rapport with some people - not others ... It's lovely having online friends - even if you never meet.
Having said that - I have met up with a few special online friends. One meeting involved a bus ride from Derbyshire to Manchester. It was an adventure.

For real life friends in your own area I would recommend joining the U3A or similar organisation - or as has been said - a local site.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 12:52 PM

Hi Raven
quote""
Also,how do online people become friends and real friends not just names on a screen? Is it impolite not to accept a friend request answers greatly recieved... end quote ""

Ive met many forum members from differant forums ,some times Meets are organised as a Group ..
Or you can meet one to one ..Ive done both ,Sometimes I take my OH along .
One to one meets for me have been when Ive have something in common , a hobby or interest with the person .
Or in one case my OH had an interest ( Military) , and the Gentleman we met took us for a meal and to sites of military interest in his area .
I have met with Carol a member on here several times, and she lives in the next county to me .
So you dont always need a friend to be in the same town as yourself ..
Hope ive answered your question c
orrectly ..
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->

I have met with Carol a member on here several times, and she lives in the next county to me .
So you dont always need a friend to be in the same town as yourself ..

Yes, Eliza & I have been on several outings - including coach trips, a walk by the Nottingham canal and a Forties themed day at Nottingham castle - a visit to the Nottingham dungeons ...also Eliza has been to my home town to search for a relative's grave in my local cemetery for her family history.

We're hoping to spend a day in Derby soon and a coach trip to Bridlington.

Out outings have been varied and very enjoyable.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 01:56 PM

Ive had several meets with members of other sites. Hobby related and thoroughly enjoyed each one. They were all from different parts of the country. And im sure that there are a few members from your area here.

Takes time to find out about members, reading and joining in with posts will allow you to assess them, hope you find what you are looking for.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2016, 02:00 PM

Raven, do they have a "Streetlife" local to you?
On my local one they arrange meet ups together. I confess I have never been to one, but the offers are there if we choose.

Also, as someone else suggested have a look at the U3A for your area.
Good luck.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top