Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 12:52 AM

Re: Philomena

It was, in some ways, similar to that excellent film, The Magdalene Children (I think that was the title), portraying the way Catholic families and especially children were treated by what I see as evil and un-Christian nuns and priests, as discussed in this thread:

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...805#post846805
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 01:35 AM

I watched it tonight, and really enjoyed it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Yes, they even managed to find a kid with a similar facial appearance to Judy Dench.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:47 PM

saw it at cinema when it first came out but watched it tonight with my Mum. Philomena was certainly very forgiving after all she went through.

It was just brainwashing those girls into believing they were sinners. Can't be doing with religion.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 12:02 AM

Watched it tonight very good I didn't realise it was a true story.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 08:06 AM

The story doesn't surprise me. My mum was schooled by nuns and I remember her saying how harsh and unfeeling they were - not quite the Audrey Hepburn depiction Hollywood loves.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Meg. there are actually thousands of Philomenas out there! Thousands of children were adopted out to Rich Americans who could easily afford the £1000 (which was a fortune then) to "buy" a child from the nuns who then pocketed the money.

It was a massive moneymaking scheme along with all the money the girls made for them in the laundries which supplied all the hotels, hospitals and private homes in Ireland. the girls were paid nothing at all but the Magdalen laundries had massive contracts worth a fortune.

Aside from the children who were adopted many young Mums and their babies died in childbirth as they had no midwives or doctors present and no pain relief. Just very uncaring, unqualified nuns. They just touched on that very briefly in the film but huge numbers of unmarked graves have been discovered and I believe it was at Roscrea that they found masses of bodies not even in graves, just all thrown in together. If you search you will find all about it. It's terribly shocking and was happening right up into the 1970s.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Meg. there are actually thousands of Philomenas out there! Thousands of children were adopted out to Rich Americans who could easily afford the £1000 (which was a fortune then) to "buy" a child from the nuns who then pocketed the money.

It was a massive moneymaking scheme along with all the money the girls made for them in the laundries which supplied all the hotels, hospitals and private homes in Ireland. the girls were paid nothing at all but the Magdalen laundries had massive contracts worth a fortune.

Aside from the children who were adopted many young Mums and their babies died in childbirth as they had no midwives or doctors present and no pain relief. Just very uncaring, unqualified nuns. They just touched on that very briefly in the film but huge numbers of unmarked graves have been discovered and I believe it was at Roscrea that they found masses of bodies not even in graves, just all thrown in together. If you search you will find all about it. It's terribly shocking and was happening right up into the 1970s.
FP I am aware of this and I worked with an Irish girl who had her baby taken away and came over here to start a new life.
I just didn't know this particular film 'Philomena' was about the scandal of the Magdalen laundries, I thought it was about something else.

One of the things I dislike about 'religion' is the hypocrisy, the Catholic Church is full of it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 12:29 PM

Don't read this if you haven't seen the film yet, my post may tell you too much

I have seen many films on this type of subject, and they were all very sad!
Going back to Philomena though, I was captivated by Judi Dench's acting abilities. When she was being irritating to to her companion, I found that I , too, was irritated by her. In her position, I would have been very angry, but her acting displayed just how easy it would be to convince these girls that they deserved the punishment of having their child taken from them. The only time I was close to tears was at the son's grave when she was happy because he had come home to her.
I can't think of anybody who could have played that part so well!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 12:30 PM

Agree with all that

I think the actress who played the young Philomena was very good too, albeit she had quite a small part. I can't remember her name - my bad

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top