Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 01:10 PM

Re: Philomena

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Meg. there are actually thousands of Philomenas out there! Thousands of children were adopted out to Rich Americans who could easily afford the £1000 (which was a fortune then) to "buy" a child from the nuns who then pocketed the money.

It was a massive moneymaking scheme along with all the money the girls made for them in the laundries which supplied all the hotels, hospitals and private homes in Ireland. the girls were paid nothing at all but the Magdalen laundries had massive contracts worth a fortune.

Aside from the children who were adopted many young Mums and their babies died in childbirth as they had no midwives or doctors present and no pain relief. Just very uncaring, unqualified nuns. They just touched on that very briefly in the film but huge numbers of unmarked graves have been discovered and I believe it was at Roscrea that they found masses of bodies not even in graves, just all thrown in together. If you search you will find all about it. It's terribly shocking and was happening right up into the 1970s.
Yes. A disgusting situation all round. An example of the corruption of most organised religions.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Roman Catholic church is one of the richest organisations in the world; far richer than many manufacturing corporations, and what do they do? They don't produce anything. Their money comes from weak-minded individuals who believe the promise of a wonderful afterlife in which they get to meet their invisible friend.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 01:44 PM

Thanks Twink - very thoughtful
Have recorded the film so will read your post at a later date
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 01:59 PM

Spoiler alert

Interesting article

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/fa...Hess.html?_r=0
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Spoiler alert

Interesting article

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/fa...Hess.html?_r=0
Interesting as you say DM I don't know how factual the film was but I found it surprising that 'Mary' the sister didn't ask Philomena any questions about her own mother who might still have been alive.

As someone who can't remember their Mother (she died when I was a baby) I have always been eager to find out any details I can about her.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Interesting as you say DM I don't know how factual the film was but I found it surprising that 'Mary' the sister didn't ask Philomena any questions about her own mother who might still have been alive.

As someone who can't remember their Mother (she died when I was a baby) I have always been eager to find out any details I can about her.
I thought that too, but I suspect the producer thought it would detract from the story about Philomena's son.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I thought that too, but I suspect the producer thought it would detract from the story about Philomena's son.
That could be it then Twink I hadn't thought of that...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

He own mother had died when she was six .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/...rching-me.html
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2016, 12:35 AM

I did watch it the other day and thought it was very good. Thought provoking and emotional.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:08 AM

Watched this last night - I was so emotional that the son wanted to be buried in Ireland it was such a great ending to this sad story
Thought Steve Coogan was really good
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2016, 10:50 AM

I watched it again one miserable afternoon in the week, when Mr DM was away. It was much sadder than I remember - I think I concentrated my memory on the 'closure' aspect of the ending, rather than the difficulties and disappointments through the film.
I've never been a great Steve Coogan fan - or at least the characters he has played - but I thought he was superb too

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top