Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Re: On the Buses

Can't believe these remakes - you can't beat the characters of the old ones surely ............
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 09:43 AM

That's what I meant, Eccles, by " Why did we laugh at them".
They were popular shows.
Should we show them as " history"?
I've noticed that some historical dramas are not showing things as they really were but how they should have been. Are we covering up things that happened to make us feel better or to encourage good behaviour?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 09:53 AM

I remember my mum hated On the buses when we were younger so we barely watched it but I do remember thinking it wasn't very funny.
When our children were young enough not to care I booked a holiday to Spain for us. We travelled by coach which made it a lot cheaper, if rather tedious!
One of the worst parts of that holiday was nearly falling to sleep at around 11.30 only to be woken by the feature film of On The Buses being played at full volume..
It dragged on and on ...and on... not funny in the slightest...
I swear the French people living within a fifty mile radius of that coach would have been able to hear it! Not even earphones with my music turned up could drown it out. Reg Varney's (?) supposedly funny laugh just grated to the core. Awful
I was so wound up I didn't sleep at all then...
I think the coach drivers thought it was a witty thing to do putting on a film about buses!
Even the children who were only about 12, 8 and 7 couldn't belive how sexist and corny it was. Not so much the chasing after the young girls part but the disrespectful way they treated their wives.
I've never gone abroad by coach again!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 10:04 AM

My least favourite too Rhian
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 10:09 AM

It's difficult to think it was of the same era as brilliant sitcoms like Dad's Army.
I used to think It ain't Half Hot Mum was really funny in parts
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
It's difficult to think it was of the same era as brilliant sitcoms like Dad's Army.I used to think It ain't Half Hot Mum was really funny in parts
Different writers I guess
Some writers excelled because they were so good, we have many good sitcoms to look back on - thankfully
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
When you think about shows like, "Love Thy Neighbour", "It Ain't Half Hot Mum" etc. they wouldn't be made today, yet "American Dad" is, odd!
Should we be able to watch these old shows to remind us of how things have changed or bury them?
We had comedians making jokes about choir boys and clergy, that would be taboo now, why did we laugh at them?
If you say anything remotely derogatory nowadays you have to think whether someone is going to be offended (very likely) or are you even breaking the law.
Is this why people are so prepared to vent their spleen on social media, because it's the only place we can?
Deep thoughts for 7am!
I agree with all that you say there TessA.
Political Correctness has taken over the country, and has done for year.
Even The Black And White Minstrel show couldn't be shown nowadays.
What a load of tosh!
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
That's what I meant, Eccles, by " Why did we laugh at them".
They were popular shows.
Should we show them as " history"?
I've noticed that some historical dramas are not showing things as they really were but how they should have been. Are we covering up things that happened to make us feel better or to encourage good behaviour?
We are remodelling history - it's 1984 come true.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the comments, I never liked the programme either and thought it totally unfunny.

I just thought TV of today would probably be a bit more aware about not showing babies 'bits' (Les Dawson arms under bust shrug) like they did back then.

Sometimes I don't think and other times I think too much.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2016, 04:19 PM

I could post a very long reply relating to social mores and how society has changed. But to save time `On the buses` was crap

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top