Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 07:13 PM

Re: The Boat race & the BBC.

Thanks for the info Orangutan and Longdogs. I really don't know what has happened with the BBC these days.

I remember the dreadful 'commentary' by the BBC 'One Show' presenters, who obviously hadn't done any homework or serious preparation for the 75th Anniversary of Dunkirk river procession with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip present. It was a very cold day, I remember. There were so many interesting things that could have been talked about, but the dreadful commentators kept referring to flippin Canaletto paintings etc. What the heck had that got to do with Dunkirk evacuation ? It would have been interesting to have been told the names of the Dunkirk Little Ships involved in the river procession, for instance. We kept watching, hoping that there would be more interesting commentary. Had we known that that would never happen, we would have switched off the TV about a third of the way through the program !!!

There are times when I wish that we still had Richard Dimbleby !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 07:29 PM

I'm not adverse to comedy at all, I love a good laugh but it seems that the BBC employ a band of comedians that have to appear on so many shows per year to fulfil their contracts.

The days of the Dimblebys and the like are disappearing fast. Remember when you could watch an interview with Parkinson and actually learn something about the guest? Now it's just to advertise their latest project.

Don't even get me started on the One Show.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 09:04 PM

As far as I remember the BBC was interviewing the rowers before the race, and the Muslim guy said he missed last years because of Ramadan.
That's how I see it anyway.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Are the BBC now incapable of presenting a serious unbiased programme?
Short answer - YES

Long answer - Try never to watch BBC these days.

In the sixties when I worked in Eastern Europe one of my jobs put me in contact with ordinary people who relied on the BBC for news via the World Service. Today it is a totaly different BBC and the World Service is a joke.
Rosey
Essex,UK
Rosey is female  Rosey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 10:13 PM

My gripe is that the boat race was not advertized in advance on TV....
I live in East Anglia too !

I had no idea it was on, just found it by chance.
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 01:11 AM

back in the day i used to work for the BBC sports department - never liked the boat race then tbh but as some have said here the most exciting year was when the boat sank
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2016, 05:19 AM

QUOTE........Are the BBC now incapable of presenting a serious unbiased programme?

no not when they are controlled by the Marxist EU.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top