Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 01:07 PM

Those killjoy alcohol rules are just plain WRONG!

Cheers!
For me, I already knew that, but please read this as it makes very interesting reading, whether you're a Boozer or not....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ts-health.html

A devastating critique by an award-winning writer on how alcohol affects our health. Dame Sally Davies said 1 daily glass of wine can put you at risk of cancer. As Chief Medical Officer she announced the latest advised alcohol limits. Men's weekly limits slashed from 21 units to 14, in line with women's
Tony Edwards says, in light of the research, 'she's simply wrong'.

Her warning received huge publicity - but, having looked in detail at the research into alcohol and health, I'm afraid to say she's simply wrong. Her motivation may be admirable, but her knowledge of the scientific and medical evidence is decidedly not.

The irony is that if people who already drink within the old guidelines do follow her advice and completely stop drinking, their risk of disease and premature death will increase. Medical studies now running into many hundreds and published in the world's top journals say that, providing you don't go overboard on the booze, drinking will help you live a longer and healthier life.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 01:28 PM

Re: Those killjoy alcohol rules are just plain WRONG!

I think it's all a load of 'Trossacks' BC, all these so called scientific tests and studies are published to have a desired effect irrespective of whether it's good for your health or not.
I suspect 'greasy palms' are involved here.

At this end of my life I come into contact with some very old geezers who have spent a lifetime supping beer and the occasional tot of something stronger (for medicinal purposes obviously) and have been blessed with a long, healthy and happy life. So if you would like to explain to Dame Sally what's her face that non of us need another mother and we're doing all right thank you and she can get back to her nightly Horlicks and Agatha Christie novels.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 01:33 PM

All these reports are quite confusing. I have read that a glass of wine is actually beneficial for you. But who do you believe ? I have also read that 3 cups of coffee a day is a recommended amount for a healthy heart. Where on the other hand, I have read, that 3 cups of coffee a day is too much and will increase your blood pressure
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by eyes_of_a_painter ->
All these reports are quite confusing. I have read that a glass of wine is actually beneficial for you. But who do you believe ? I have also read that 3 cups of coffee a day is a recommended amount for a healthy heart. Where on the other hand, I have read, that 3 cups of coffee a day is too much and will increase your blood pressure
Yes Eyes, and you could add in there...
Meat
Bacon
Sausages
Sugar and a whole range of products that some scientist or other will say is either bad or good for you.
I reckon that all things in moderation will do you no harm at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 01:49 PM

Doesn't this come down to we all die sometime and it's how we live and enjoy our lives that is most important ? If having a moderate drink makes people happy let them be I say.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Doctors guess that chronic alcohol abuse will lower a person’s life expectancy by as many as twelve years.

How awful! an extra twelve horrible, tedious, worthless, alcohol free years! It would be unbearable.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 02:55 PM

Years ago (nearly thirty!) I had the big C. I was helped by The Bristol Cancer Help centre and was told I could have a small amount of alcohol daily; I followed this advice.
A friend of mine has also been advised to take a tot of whiskey per day by her health care professional for her circulatory problems.

I'm not suggesting that drinking a lot of alcohol isn't harmful, but that moderate amounts can be helpful.

I was advised not to drink coffee ! I did not follow this advice!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 03:19 PM

I don't think the real worry is physical but the affects that occur mentally. It sure has caused me problems. My tolerance has lessened to the point where a small amount causes the wheels to fall off. I haven't drunk for the last 2 months and don't intend to in the future either.

Street rows
Drink driving
Anti-social behaviour

etc

Perhaps lowering certain limits might help with the above?

A small amount every so often doesn't seem to do much harm but a lot in a short space of time does.

Funnily enough my sister told me to try non alcohol beer instead of cider and so on I was knocking back. I thought she was talking nonsense (as I tend to do). For one thing I thought such beer would be expensive but no - 4 bottles for £2.50! I now drink no-alcohol Bavarian Beer and also Carling no-alcohol lager. I can't tell the difference! I swore I was becoming drunk when I first started drinking them. After a long run I no longer run the gauntlet of becoming hammered when imbibing a cold beer and can drink as much as I want whilst enjoying practically the same taste. Wish to hell I had turned to them years ago.

So, if like me, alcohol causes you problems then consider the above.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 03:46 PM

If Folks want to drink Themselves into oblivion..that's Their CHOICE...some eejit MO telling Them not to isn't going to change Their habits one bit IMO.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2016, 03:57 PM

If you look at everything that goes on now a days. They said you had to stop smoking because (lung cancer, passive smoking) reports says .....
you have to stop over eating because (drain on the NHS, health problems) certain foods are not good for us one minute and then good for us the next .....
you have to stop drinking even in moderation because the guidelines are now wrong again......

Nobody has said yet that I have to stop going to work because it is bad for my health. Or have they.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top