Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 03:48 PM

blackberries

iv been picking blackberries to make a pie,do any of you go gathering,and was it a yearly thing when you was a kid to go with yer mum picking blackberries to make jam etc
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 03:52 PM

Re: blackberries

I took my children every year to one place where they hung like grapes,and then i took my grandchildren ,we called it Blackberry Way.I can picture them now with stained fingers and mouths where they had to taste what they picked,.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 03:54 PM

As a kid - yes ... Lately - no. (Not for about 40 years)lol

What I'm curious about doc is - Do you make your own pastry?
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 03:57 PM

to be honest lol,i usely stew them and make custard to pour over,,it just sounds better saying pie
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 04:02 PM

If you did want to make a pie sometime - frozen pastry is nice. I never bother making my own.
(Perhaps I shouldn't have owned up to that!)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 04:04 PM

The blackberries are very early this year, I noticed the first a couple of weeks ago when I took the little ones for a walk.

I am not a fan of blackberries preferring something more sour, but they are ok with apples like the first bramleys which will be available soon.

When little we children picked buckets full of blackberries to make jam and blackberry vinegar which we had in hot water to help fight colds.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 04:25 PM

No where as nimble as I was but still manage to collect a few blackberries but in my younger days up to my early retirement days this was a typical autumn for us.

My darling wife was alive then happier days, happier times.

"Last week we noticed that blackberries seemed to have ripened much earlier this year and on Sunday we collected enough to make four pounds of bramble jelly. This got us thinking what else might be ripe. This morning we went to investigate and collected a large bin bag full of bullaces (enough to make 96lbs of jam) and noticed that the sloes were nearly ripe as well. A lady even older than ourselves stopped to tell us that there was a hedge full of hazel nuts on the nearby village common. She lamented that less than two decades ago all the hedgerow fruit and nuts would be collected by the villagers but now with all the incomers and week-end cottagers they were just left to rot. This afternoon we went back and directed by the good lady harvested another bin bag full of hazel nuts. The bullaces will make a delicious jam and keep us, and my wife’s W.I., going for most of the coming year and if we can get more jam jars there’s plenty more fruit where that lot came from. As to the hazel nuts Cadburys wont be the only one covering them with chocolate, some of the rest will be used to embellish home made chocolate cakes and to make tasty praline. Beth the younger of my grand-daughters and is staying with us and has a recipe for ground hazel nuts in fudge and this she is doing as I type with the sound of hazel nuts in a large polythene bag being bashed with a steak hammer in the kitchen.
Just the sloes for sloe gin remain to be gathered in a few weeks time and chestnuts later in the autumn.
It’s sad to see the decline in these natural rhythms of country life. Are people too busy or too idle to bother or is it that the culture of the supermarket shop followed by an evening of soap operas on the box has taken over.

It makes me sad."
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:07 PM

In my wine making days I was an avid picker-if it could be made into wine I used it-and yes I won more than a few prizes. Did I do with with mum/dad?-we do not go there.
muffin
Surrey, UK
muffin is female  muffin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:19 PM

I have picked loads of blackberries yesterday off our allotment,
we have cultivated blackberries' cheating i suppose but lovely they are too
cooked with apples, and no prickles on the stems that is a bonus.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
country life. Are people too busy or too idle to bother or is it that the culture of the supermarket shop followed by an evening of soap operas on the box has taken over.

It makes me sad.
"
Not around here VM Blackberry picking is alive and well here in Worcestershire and very shortly a small army will be heading to the fields adjoining my house to brave the sheep poo and pick blackberries .
The WI weekly stalls in Malvern and Ledbury will be awash with bramble jam and jelly.

The hazel nuts are not yet ready, when they are we will be fighting the squirrels for our share.

The bullaces and sloes are also prized and in much demand around these parts also crabapples for jelly .

Some of us are teaching a next generation about the delights of the countryside and they are eager to learn .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top