Join for free
Page 28 of 38 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Re: Syria - US ships move in!

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Read the post before mine Audrey - I answered that - being Thatcher ...
Oh.. sorry... but that still doesn't change my original interpretation. One might wonder WHY there seems to be very few participants from this side... but............
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Really? So that's it huh? So what's with the nasty remark about the language then?? Seriously... It's quite obvious.. and same with a few others.

Its not a 'nasty' remark, its a statement of fact, when we spell things, f'r instance coloUr we spell it as English correctly. I resent the American versions of english words spelt incorrectly - it grates and angers me!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Well I can't say I have too many problems with most Americans, occasionally we get tourists who are just a tad louder than I like, but they are polite so no real harm done. But this arrogance about making everyone behave like Americans (democracy etc) is not something I like and I am as scathing about UKs policies about this too. So hope you don't feel I am singling out America as the only bad guy in all this !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Yet we expect... no.. we demand that everyone else learn it.
I don't think it works like that does it; there have been several great nations over the centuries and if people want to trade with than nation, they learn that nations language to enable them to do that. America speaks English so it was natural that people learned it due to Americas dominance. The same happened when France was dominant - people learned French. When Rome was dominant, people learned Latin. I have a sneaky feeling we'll all be learning Chinese soon!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Its not a 'nasty' remark, its a statement of fact, when we spell things, f'r instance coloUr we spell it as English correctly. I resent the American versions of english words spelt incorrectly - it grates and angers me!!!
UJ they speak and write American English, some of it makes more sense than our spellings really. If you don't get upset and angry that Italians speak and write in Italian it seems odd to get upset with Americans for speaking their native tongue.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Right there - American spelling is more often better !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
UJ they speak and write American English, some of it makes more sense than our spellings really. If you don't get upset and angry that Italians speak and write in Italian it seems odd to get upset with Americans for speaking their native tongue.

Yes Julie, but that's the point, its NOT their 'native' tongue, but ours (i.e. English), not American, therefore English spelling and English grammar should predominate since the Americans are supposed to speak and write ENGLISH.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:20 PM

Dont agree UJ - Irish speak English - but in their way .....
I speak English - but in 'my' way .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:24 PM

Yes Julie, but that's the point, its NOT their 'native' tongue,
It was when they left these shores on The Mayflower
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2013, 04:42 PM

So you're saying I mispell things.. THere is not U in color... Why do you think your way is the correct way? Incidently the proper past tense of Spell... is Spelled... not Spelt..which is a type of wheat. BUT I suppose it's a matter of how you learnt to speak..

Page 28 of 38 « First < 18 26 27 28 29 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top