Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Re: Panic attacks

Never had a panic attack, don't really understand them. I don't like heights so that is the nearest I ever get, even Youtube videos of people balancing on the edge of a drop made me feel odd though I can't say I panic.

It is strange because it is only sheer cliffs or buildings that I don't like, I have climbed 200mtr TV masts and 60ft Telegraph poles without a worry but standing on the edge of a single storey roof I don't like at all - as I say I don't panic I just don't look.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 11:24 AM

There’s a whole lot of difference between feeling panicky/anxious about a situation and a true panic attack which has nothing to do with those feelings.
A panic attack as others who’ve had them know come from nowhere .

Mine never came during daylight hours .
I would have to pace the floor ,couldn’t sit still for fear of imminent death .
I learned eventually that wasn’t going to happen and when one came on I’d switch the pc on and Google other peoples’ experiences to take my mind off what was happening to me .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Never had a panic attack, don't really understand them. I don't like heights so that is the nearest I ever get, even Youtube videos of people balancing on the edge of a drop made me feel odd though I can't say I panic.

It is strange because it is only sheer cliffs or buildings that I don't like, I have climbed 200mtr TV masts and 60ft Telegraph poles without a worry but standing on the edge of a single storey roof I don't like at all - as I say I don't panic I just don't look.
That's strange Bruce, I am the opposite, I can stand on the edge of something natural like a cliff but hate being on anything man made. My reasoning is that concrete or steel should not be that high up. If I watch someone on the edge of a building on tv, my legs turn to jelly.

A panic attack feels different to that. The best way I can describe how I felt is; you know in a film, in a scary moment when the person remains still but the background rushes towards you or away from you, it felt like that. It's as though you suddenly become totally aware of your own mortality.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 02:56 PM

Thank you, Blue for starting this thread...

I have had panic attacks since as far back as I can remember. The first one that I recall causing me to not be able to leave the house happened when I was in Grade 2 and it certainly ruined a beautiful day. I won't go into the details but my parents kept me off of school for two months...after taking me to visit with a children's psychiatrist...

After that...I don't recall having another for a few years but of course they kept rearing their ugly heads...through all of my life.

For me, It's a desperate feeling of loss, rapid heartbeat, claustrophobia and overwhelming nausea... I need to remove myself from where I am...PDQ...or I fear I'll die...

Since my hubby had his accident last March and is now in a LTCF...I am alone and again terrified to leave my home unless someone else is with me... I am unable to visit my hubby unless someone actually goes with me... I do not do well in situations where I am all alone.

Today...I am going to try, because I have an appt. with my Optometrist...but no way to get there except by taxi, alone...

See ya on the flip side...wish me "luck."
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Th important thing to remember about panic attacks is that physical sensational of discomfort are uncomfortable but not dangerous.
Exactly ! I wish I could remember that when I am going through them.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

I am the same, I can't look or my legs will turn to rubber.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

15-02-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
when one came on I’d switch the pc on and Google other peoples’ experiences to take my mind off what was happening to me .
That's a good idea, I must try that.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

15-02-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
Thank you, Blue for starting this thread...

I have had panic attacks since as far back as I can remember. The first one that I recall causing me to not be able to leave the house happened when I was in Grade 2 and it certainly ruined a beautiful day. I won't go into the details but my parents kept me off of school for two months...after taking me to visit with a children's psychiatrist...

After that...I don't recall having another for a few years but of course they kept rearing their ugly heads...through all of my life.

For me, It's a desperate feeling of loss, rapid heartbeat, claustrophobia and overwhelming nausea... I need to remove myself from where I am...PDQ...or I fear I'll die...

Since my hubby had his accident last March and is now in a LTCF...I am alone and again terrified to leave my home unless someone else is with me... I am unable to visit my hubby unless someone actually goes with me... I do not do well in situations where I am all alone.

Today...I am going to try, because I have an appt. with my Optometrist...but no way to get there except by taxi, alone...

See ya on the flip side...wish me "luck."
Oh Filly, my heart goes out to you, because I know you, so it is closer to home. I know you well, it took me years to learn where you are coming from, but now that I do, I feel your pain......

My fingers are crossed for you today. Face those fears head on....you have no choice now, so you better put on the boxing gloves today and ... DO IT. ....yes ma'am, see ya on the flip side...
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Thank you, Blue......my appt. is for 10:30 and I am all ready to leave...just have to call the taxi...
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 03:39 PM

Hope your appointment goes well.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top