Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:53 AM

Anyone Using Tor?

I have been aware of Tor for a little while but never tried it. I just wondered if anybody has used it. (I will copy and paste its description of itself at the bottom of this message.)

Personally I have used a paid VPN service for some years and stick to using access in countries with robust privacy/security laws unless I am merely using it to foil geolocation then I will use any outlet in the country I want.

The problem with using VPN is that it does slow your internet down depending on the servers being accessed so I only use it some of the time and because of the limited countries one uses there is a pattern left behind - not that the NSA would be interested in my activities.

Tor is also open source and free and, as I understand it, the routing varies all the time.

Presumably Tor has a similar effect. Anybody use it? What has been your experience?

The Tor network is a group of volunteer-operated servers that allows people to improve their privacy and security on the Internet. Tor's users employ this network by connecting through a series of virtual tunnels rather than making a direct connection, thus allowing both organizations and individuals to share information over public networks without compromising their privacy. Along the same line, Tor is an effective censorship circumvention tool, allowing its users to reach otherwise blocked destinations or content. Tor can also be used as a building block for software developers to create new communication tools with built-in privacy features.

Individuals use Tor to keep websites from tracking them and their family members, or to connect to news sites, instant messaging services, or the like when these are blocked by their local Internet providers. Tor's onion services let users publish web sites and other services without needing to reveal the location of the site. Individuals also use Tor for socially sensitive communication: chat rooms and web forums for rape and abuse survivors, or people with illnesses.

Journalists use Tor to communicate more safely with whistleblowers and dissidents. Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) use Tor to allow their workers to connect to their home website while they're in a foreign country, without notifying everybody nearby that they're working with that organization.

Groups such as Indymedia recommend Tor for safeguarding their members' online privacy and security. Activist groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) recommend Tor as a mechanism for maintaining civil liberties online. Corporations use Tor as a safe way to conduct competitive analysis, and to protect sensitive procurement patterns from eavesdroppers. They also use it to replace traditional VPNs, which reveal the exact amount and timing of communication. Which locations have employees working late? Which locations have employees consulting job-hunting websites? Which research divisions are communicating with the company's patent lawyers?
https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Re: Anyone Using Tor?

"allows people to improve their privacy and security on the Internet".

Reads like a base for Perverts & extremists.

Be very Careful

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 01:52 PM

I have had experience of Tor , all bad . It is widely used by spammers and unpleasant people seeking to hide their identity.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 02:07 PM

There is no anonymity on the internet period. What these companies/services do is make it difficult for low level people to identify you, a bit like going ex-directory on your home phone. Anyone who really wants to find out who you are will always do so imo. Aside from that every one of these companies absolutely must give up your details if the authorities request it. They all claim to have no logs but only a totally naïve person would believe this, it's all just terminology and semantics imo.

If I were Big Brother or global security/intelligence services then the very best way to make my job as easy as possible would be to set up this kind of service because all the (naïve) crooks and nefarious internet users would flock to it.

What that does is simply channel all illegal activity down a singular route which makes it far far easier to monitor.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 03:40 PM

Funnily enough I saw a magazine in Sainsbury's this morning with an article on Tor. I'm guessing it's part of the 'dark web'.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There is no anonymity on the internet period. What these companies/services do is make it difficult for low level people to identify you, a bit like going ex-directory on your home phone. Anyone who really wants to find out who you are will always do so imo. Aside from that every one of these companies absolutely must give up your details if the authorities request it. They all claim to have no logs but only a totally naïve person would believe this, it's all just terminology and semantics imo.

If I were Big Brother or global security/intelligence services then the very best way to make my job as easy as possible would be to set up this kind of service because all the (naïve) crooks and nefarious internet users would flock to it.

What that does is simply channel all illegal activity down a singular route which makes it far far easier to monitor.
That’s exactly what I was thinking
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 03:58 PM

I had Tor a number of years ago. I was using Anonymous Proxies like Kproxy or Hidemyass, then I discovered they had found a code to override them. I used them because I wanted to get into a certain forum where I was banned.

So I stared using Tor and I found it very good. It was a little hard to hook up to if I remember correctly. I don't use that anymore as that particular forum is gone....that was nearly 10 years ago I think.

Anyway, I didn't have any problem with it at all. I used to call it my little onion skin.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Isn't it run by the CIA anyway?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Hi

Use Tor and everyone and their mother will be onto you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Use Tor and everyone and their mother will be onto you.

Can you explain that a bit better please, Swim?
Onto him for what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top