Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:22 AM

Re: Gentlemen

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
At the art store today, I was wrestling with two very large canvases, trying to get them off a high shelf and then to the checkout corner.

A very nice man approached me, in a very friendly and confident manner, and absolutely insisted that he carry the canvases up front.

While I could have managed myself, it was nice to have a gentleman lend a hand. It made him feel good (he said so), and it felt nice to be treated like a lady.

I don't hesitate to offer to help people, men or women, who look like they need a hand, but these kindnesses seem less commonplace. Is this my imagination? Do people think an offer to help might be offensive in some way?
I think offence caused is greatly taken out of context. I made it my endeavour to say something nice to someone every day when I was in hospital recently and it makes me feel better.

Yesterday, it was a young woman whose clothes all matched so well and I told her she was suitably dressed for the weather - I'm sure she liked the complement. Not always so easy for me to remember if I'm having a bad day.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:22 AM

I always offer to help anyone,just my nature
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
I always offer to help anyone,just my nature
That's commendable - so many don't make the effort.

At the front of my bus on Thursday there were seats for the elderly all taken up with youths with big shoulder packs - I'm sure they were just foreign, and didn't understand our local manners, but when an elderly man strolled on to the bus he had to make his way towards the back - made me feel sad for a while.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 08:29 AM

I suspect this gentleman noticed you were struggling so offered to help.....that says a lot about him!

I often ask taller people for help, male or female, if I can't reach something I need from the the top shelves and I have never met one who hasn't graciously agreed to help.

Most people are kind and willing to help, but the few who can't be bothered give everybody a bad name!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

25-02-2018, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I suspect this gentleman noticed you were struggling so offered to help.....that says a lot about him!

I often ask taller people for help, male or female, if I can't reach something I need from the the top shelves and I have never met one who hasn't graciously agreed to help.

Most people are kind and willing to help, but the few who can't be bothered give everybody a bad name!
So true - I've had to ask for help with my Carpel Tunnal's in stores recently...it's hard for me to pack items and everyone has been most kind.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
It was kind of him to offer help Surfer, but it was equally gracious of you to accept.

Many women would have knocked him back with a sharp rebuke that they were perfectly capable of managing thank you very much.

I hate that attitude.
Only woman who have no class.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 09:22 AM

I think it's lovely . Recently had to collect a huge bag of logs , the car was parked quite away from the shop, I was struggling to carry the bag , I then started to drag it along the pavement thinking I'd never get it to the car when a delightful man offered help , he just picked it up like it was a lightweight bag and popped it into the boot . I was so grateful, he said it was a pleasure . What a nice man .

Anyway I think we should all help each other more its nice to be nice .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
At the art store today, I was wrestling with two very large canvases, trying to get them off a high shelf and then to the checkout corner.

A very nice man approached me, in a very friendly and confident manner, and absolutely insisted that he carry the canvases up front.

While I could have managed myself, it was nice to have a gentleman lend a hand. It made him feel good (he said so), and it felt nice to be treated like a lady.

I don't hesitate to offer to help people, men or women, who look like they need a hand, but these kindnesses seem less commonplace. Is this my imagination? Do people think an offer to help might be offensive in some way?
I will offer help, to anyone who genuinely needs it.

Men and women should be treated equally, if they need help someone male or female should offer assistance. I would hate to get special treatment from the male of the species just because I am female. I am so glad my husband has never treated me any differently because I am a woman.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Where there are Ladies, Gentlemen will not be far.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 10:13 AM

I would like to tell you a true story about helping people.

There was a young couple who shopped at my local supermarket. Both had severe MS and used electric wheelchairs and I learned that they had a pet cat that they adored.I would often help them reach their cat food from the shelves and put it in their basket.
One day I saw the man without his wife, so I asked if she was unable to join him, and he told me she had died 3 weeks before. I often saw him, on other visits to the shop, and helped him with his shopping but he never seemed as happy as he had been with his wife.
A year or so passed and then I didn't see him at the shop, so assumed he may have had to go into care. I asked a lady on the checkout and she told me that he , too, had died ...both were in their 30's.
When I got into my car, I cried, because our many meetings at the supermarket had made this couple seem like friends.
They were so independent, but accepted help when they needed to and were admired by many customers..... so much so that the staff at the supermarket did a sponsored run, after the man's death, and raised around £11,000 for the charity that had looked after them, prior to their death.
That money came from customers who had also helped this couple when shopping.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top