Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Re: Dog clipping

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Chatting on the morning thread about dog clipping. We have two cockerpoos who we clip every four to five weeks. They get a wash most days when we get back from our walk, but we only shampoo them around four times a year.

What is your routine?
I have a cockapoo and a golden retriever and my routine for the cockapoo is similar to yours Barry. Legs are always getting washed and I tend to take him to the hairdresser every 5/6 weeks and trim over inbetween because I am not very good at doing all over styling. I also dress his coat with coconut oil and detangling sprays (he can get in such a mess). His coat is curly and thick and if I don't keep at him he easily tangles.
Bonnie, my golden retriever is much easier. She has a regular brush and a little scissor trim when necessary. She rarely gets bathed as she always seems to get wet anyway - just like Ted.
They both get their ears done out regularly and Ted gets his nails trimmed at the hairdresser. Bonnie never seems to need her nails attending to. Teeth I just keep an eye on them - Ted is young yet, and so far Bonnie (who is 7) doesn't seem to get any tartar build up, so I leave hers alone. They don't get any food inbetween meals and thy have antlers to chew on, so perhaps this helps their teeth stay clean.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 09:47 PM

This set I have has got an extension so the user can determine whether to take a lot off, or not much.

They are rechargeable and actually the clippers are quiet, but yes, she will need to get used to them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
This set I have has got an extension so the user can determine whether to take a lot off, or not much.

They are rechargeable and actually the clippers are quiet, but yes, she will need to get used to them.

Jazzi, I confess I haven't read through it all, but just scanning it it looked informative and helpful.
It is specific for your breed.
See what you think.

http://www.thewesthighlandwhiteterri.../grooming.html
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 11:56 PM

I use Oster Clippers and 3 different Blades each time I strip my dog, 3 times a year he gets a full going over and I take it all off. Having had Old English Sheepdogs all my life I soon learned. The dog I have now is similar to an OES in size and coat, so I just do it the same way I always have..
He spends a lot of time in the ocean and sometimes the salt makes him scratch so he goes in the shower then, but it's not often and I use a medicated shampoo for dogs on him..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 06:00 PM

Just messaged someone local who comes recommended by our local FB dog page. Her road is close to my sister so if I book Holly in and sis is home, I could visit her. This lady also does boarding so might discuss that with her.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

16-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Yup, booked in with this lady for 1st March. 12.45. I have an idea sis will be at work, so I'll mosey on down to the Tescos for a little shop and maybe stop for a coffee.

Though I adore the scruffy look on Holly I can't wait to see what she looks like tidied up, and with a shorn bum!! But when I cuddle her I love grabbing a handful of fur and scuffling with her.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 10:30 AM

You'll have to post a 'Before & After' picture, Jazzi.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 10:49 AM

Being a bloke the style matters nothing to me, just the comfort of the animal. We pay particular attention to ensuring their eyes have clear field of vision and leave their coats a little longer in winter than summer, although if it was left to me they would be clipped a little shorter than they are now but I do get overuled on that...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Being a bloke the style matters nothing to me, just the comfort of the animal. We pay particular attention to ensuring their eyes have clear field of vision and leave their coats a little longer in winter than summer, although if it was left to me they would be clipped a little shorter than they are now but I do get overuled on that...
As you know Ted is a cockapoo and I do like to have him a in "cockapoo/teddybear" trim, which, for me is a full mustache, head and chin, full legs, ears and tail and then the body cut fairly close. The "barber" does it better than I can and I keep him trimmed up myself along the same lines inbetween visits. Seems to work well and he never gets out of hand even if he gets wet (which he does - all the time).
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

25-02-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You'll have to post a 'Before & After' picture, Jazzi.
Yes, I want to do that for myself, so will put some up here.

She really is getting scruffy and in need of a clean and tidy. I have her coat for when we go out, and might get another one.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top