Join for free
Page 6 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2017, 09:30 PM

Re: My allotment

Originally Posted by galty ->
Start of March digging a trench for Potatoes ricked my back badly but planted a row.

In April back still bad could not do any digging use a garden hole cutter to plant the rest.

First row planted in March were well banked up and growing well but a heavy frost got them.

What I do is any Pototes that I missed digging from the year before I just let them grow and about this time of year dig them up and get new potatoes but they are a bit small.
Galty the frost got my early potatoes. I just cut off the damaged leaves , earthed them up and they are growing fine again .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 03:22 PM

Just back from a two week holiday.

Weeds are massive started weeding by hand and pulled up a lot of beets and carrots as well

Lost my sweet corn and half of my Cucumbers.

A hell of a lot of work to do but to hot

On the bright side dug up my Garlic best crop ever.

Will leave the Elephant in for a couple of weeks.

Onions rubbish

One nice aspect on my return I meet a good mate who I worked and drank with 40 years ago and has a plot.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 06:21 AM

As not well this summer the Allotment is looking very untidy but am getting the will do do some work again.

This year Carrots brill.

Beetroot as always Brill.

Onions terrible.

Potatoes first row planting very good.

2nd and 3rd rows planted a month later(April) very poor.

Leeks massive best year ever

Strawberrys still picking end of OCT never happened before.

Grapes very poor a late frost put them back..one with no grapes the other not so badly effected by the frost got four small bunches.

Sprouts a disaster... did plant a bit late.

Started to dig my Potatoes trenches adding manure to leave to over winter.

Garlic and onions already planted and looking well..but do need to do some weeding between them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Very good Galty I still have the odd strawberry and raspberry too but they don't taste very nice .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2017, 02:35 PM

I planted some Brussels sprouts they have been gobbled up by some green caterpillars - well at least someone enjoyed them !
all i have in the ground now are parsnips.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

22-11-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I planted some Brussels sprouts they have been gobbled up by some green caterpillars - well at least someone enjoyed them !
all i have in the ground now are parsnips.
I was surprised to find caterpillars on my purple sprouting broccoli this morning , I though the frost would have killed them
Thankfully they have only damaged one plant and I should have an excellent crop
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

04-02-2018, 05:08 PM

We have a local Horticulture Hut run by three women and last year had ordered 10 lbs of king Edward potatoes.

Picked them up too day and cost me £4.50.

In Kitchen getting them to chip.

Would have like start Planting end of Feb but think will have too delay till middle of March.

Last Leeks and Sprouts cleared and frozen last week.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Our trading shed opens in a week or so, for the year (till early October) and they always order in many varieties of potatoes, and also onion sets and garlic. Some people order full sacks, but there is usually enough for first come first served, over several weeks. The committee started sharing orders with a chap from another allotment, he who runs his own little trading hut.

We have to renew our membership from the 1st February, and that entitles us to buy from the shop and hire the mowers, so it usually busy for the first few weekends. It's also when members buy the spuds/onions, so no doubt I will be there soon.

I need to work out what I am planting and where. I wish I'd decided earlier about getting some raspberry canes for the new bed. Is it too late, one wonders?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

09-02-2018, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

I need to work out what I am planting and where. I wish I'd decided earlier about getting some raspberry canes for the new bed. Is it too late, one wonders?
If any one is growing Raspberry on your allotment just ask if you could dig up a couple as they are like weeds had have to be controlled.

Garden centers will have them and now is the right time in planting them.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

11-02-2018, 02:30 PM

Some one on my Allotment made a Vid about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A9f...ature=youtu.be

Page 6 of 12 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top