Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 10:17 PM

Re: Alabama Rot

Oh dear, that isnīt good news Meg. I hope itīs only going to be a one-off.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 10:22 PM

Oh... that's worrying Meg
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 10:23 PM

Gosh Meg, that must feel a bit too close for comfort.
What a horrible worry. Could you get any more information from your vet do you think?

These rather unpleasant pictures at least show us what to be aware of:

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/alabam...ail/story.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Gosh Meg, that must feel a bit too close for comfort.
What a horrible worry. Could you get any more information from your vet do you think?

These rather unpleasant pictures at least show us what to be aware of:

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/alabam...ail/story.html
Don't think so Mups because they know so little about it except it is thought to be caused by toxins produced by e coli.
It seems to be a contact area thing with the lesions first appearing on legs /tummies/noses so logical it makes sense to wash these areas after walking in undergowth.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 10:49 PM

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me, Meg.

I wonder how it can be to do with E.Coli when that is a severe stomach/diarrohea type bug, I don't see how it affect skin, do you?
And why does it always seem to be contracted in forestry? Weird.

It seems to be more of a 'contact' thing. Didn't they in the early days suspect contact with some types of fungus growing wild in woodland?

I admit I even wondered in the early days, whether it was some cranky dog-hater putting chemicals down on known dog walking areas. Bit like the case I read recently about a crank leaving sausages laced with nails and broken glass along known dog walking paths.

It really is frightening how quickly it kills - just a few days I believe.
Stay safe.

(p.s. I thought perhaps your vet surgery might be able to say which area they thought this poor dog had picked it up, to warn other locals.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2017, 11:01 PM

I wonder how it can be to do with E.Coli when that is a severe stomach/diarrohea type bug, I don't see how it affect skin, do you?
Mups maybe once in the system/blood stream a particular strain of e coli (there are many) can cause toxins similar to meningitis in humans which produces toxins and septicaemia leading to the death of tissue in the extremities fingers/toes/hands/arms/ legs .

My surgery is probably inundated with worried owners. I am going to stick to open areas for a while.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-03-2017, 11:05 PM

I wonder if the drug companies will be bringing a vaccine out some time?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

29-03-2017, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I wonder if the drug companies will be bringing a vaccine out some time?
I would think they need to find the causal agent first
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2017, 09:29 AM

That's too close for comfort Meg, if you have to wash a dogs legs each time it's walked we made a foot washer works well using a cut off lemonade bottle lined with sponge foam, filled with water or soapy water just push dogs foot/leg in and it washes it quickly and well. You can get a commercial version but that's about Ģ20 mines vertually free. Used to use it with allergic to grass Duncan. Made washing him off really fast and he got so used to it he'd put his foot in voluntarily.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-03-2017, 12:22 PM

My dogs are small enough to just stand 'em in one of those deeper cat litter trays. I just fill it with warm, soapy water, capture them and stand 'em in one at a time out in the garden, washes all 4 feet at a time then.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top