Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Just For One or Two - Golden Topped Fish Pie For One.

Good morning all. Another Monday. Sitting here with a cup of tea and slice of toast. pups are fast asleep in their baskets after their breakfast and a long walk. Still sticking to my diet as best I can. Day 7 today. Another 3 weeks to go before I try on my barometer trousers to see if the button fastens easily without having to stretch the waistband to fasten the button. (LOL. think I will still keep these trousers even if the legs perish as they keep me in check with weight control).

Anyway, hope you are all well. I hope no-one minds if I put the following to the test on the Recipe section. It is definitely not for all you accomplished cooks on here! that would be like trying to sell Ice to Eskimo's!!. No, I thought these recipes might be handy for those on here who may be either on their own or just two people who would appreciate looking up a recipe or two whilst logged into OFF as an idea of what to cook for one person for dinner that is easy, quick and has the correct ingredients straight to hand.

I was thinking how many there are of us at our age just being households of one or two now so thought perhaps we could have recipes that are easier and more suitable for cooking for just one or two of us, instead of having to divide the ingredients of other recipes on here every time. As you know, I am what one would call a competent cook, no more than that! I am the type of person that will do a pre-run of a meal first if having a special dinner for someone other than family, so that shows you the lack of confidence!! lol. But....

I have never put a recipe on here that I have not tried myself first and deemed it a success as far as I am concerned! You know what we Virgo's are like!! so thought it could be useful to start giving recipes that are the exact quantities of ingredients required to make just enough for one or two people. As in the following recipe, I made 4 small servings and have put two in the freezer, ready for the next time I serve them up for a mid-week meal. Perhaps if someone else would care to contribute some lovely recipes for just one or two persons, I would be equally grateful to try any of yours. I promise that any recipe I put on here, I will have thoroughly enjoyed first, otherwise any that I haven't enjoyed will be despatched to the (won't be doing that crappy meal again back of my memory!).

Here then is the first "Just for One or Two" recipe that I tried and enjoyed on Friday.

GOLDEN TOPPED FISH PIE (this makes 4 individual portions using small oven proof dishes or foil dishes)

Preheat your Oven to 200C/400F/180Fan/Gas 6.

You will need:-

350g (12oz) Sweet Potatoes, cut into even chunks.
350g (12oz) Ordinary Potatoes cut into even chunks.(If you don't want to use Sweet Potatoes, 700g of Ordinary potatoes is fine)
1 Pint of Milk plus 4 extra Tablespoons.
65g (2.1/2oz) Butter.
1lb Mixed Pie Fish (I used Salmon, White Fish and Smoked Haddock)
1 Leek. washed, trimmed and sliced.
50g (2oz) Plain Flour.
5-6 Tablespoons fresh Parsley (to be honest, I used Shwartz as didn't have fresh, I just sprinkled it generously, ( I did NOT use 5 tablespoons)
Salt and Pepper.

METHOD

Put the potatoes into just enough water to cover. Bring to boil and simmer for about 18-20 minutes until tender.

When cooked, drain, put back on to the heat and let moisture evaporate for about 1-2 minutes on a very low heat.
Mash with the 4 Tablespoons of Milk and 15g (1/2oz) Butter

Now put the Fish Pie Mix into another saucepan with the 1 Pint of Milk, Bring JUST to the boil, take it off the heat, put a lid on it and leave for 5 minutes.

Saving it for later to make the sauce, drain the milk from the saucepan and clean the saucepan ready for next stage.

Melt 25g (just under 2 Tablespoons) Butter into the saucepan, Add the Leeks, Stir and cover whilst cooking gently for about 7 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Add the Leeks to the Fish and distribute between 4 small oven proof or foil dishes.

Melt 25g (just under 2 Tablespoons) Butter to the pan, add the flour, stir in and cook on a medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Gradually beat in the reserved milk and whisk to make a sauce.

Spoon the sauce into the dishes and top with spoonfuls of mashed potato and sprinkle the fresh or Shwartz type parsley on top.

Put one or two of the dishes into the oven on a baking tray and cook for 35-40 minutes or until the pies are bubbling hot.

Cover the other two or three uncooked Fish Pies with foil, seal, label and freeze. These will freeze well for up to 2 months

When you want to use them again, defrost in the fridge overnight as required and cook exactly as above.

These were really nice. We had one each with green beans and a crusty roll for dinner and honestly, they were really tasty and filling.

Hope you enjoy if you try the recipe. Would love to see any of your tried and tested dinner meals for one or two that I can try. Thanks xx

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	goldentoppedfish3.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	3942  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Re: Just For One or Two - Golden Topped Fish Pie For One.

Sounds nice I'd replace the fish with carrots, broccoli, peas and hard boiled eggs.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 11:55 AM

That sounds delish Julie, I may try that one when Veggie SIL and niece come for brunch. Everything there I love so would be perfect. Thanks xx
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 12:36 PM

A lot of fish dishes can easily be vegetarianised I find. Yours sounds lovely so I'm going to have a go at it tomorrow possibly in a larger dish as I can just see hulking Nathan sitting down to a singe portion with a puzzled ok on his face wondering where the rest was
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 12:46 PM

I like a hard boiled egg, cut into quarters in my fish pie and cheese on top of the mash. Takes it to another level, yummy hugs on a plate
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-09-2017, 03:49 PM

Missy - Groan! don't do that to me. I am on a strict calorie controlled diet for a month. I normally adore my grated cheese on top of mashed potato dishes, but I dare not at the moment. I am having to just mix the mash with the filling. Mind you, using the two types of potato made it very tasty.

Julie - LOL. Nathan sounds like a carbon copy of He who must obey. (2 portions to everyones one!) I had to empty the Fish pie out of the dish onto a plate and put it with the green beans AND the buttered roll so it filled the plate, otherwise it would have been a case of him looking at me as if to say...."is this a starter?" -
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-09-2017, 04:55 PM

If he's like Nathan he won't even put on weight it's a real annoyance when I see his plate full and I know I just have to smell food to put weight on
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2017, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Missy - Groan! don't do that to me. I am on a strict calorie controlled diet for a month. I normally adore my grated cheese on top of mashed potato dishes, but I dare not at the moment. I am having to just mix the mash with the filling. Mind you, using the two types of potato made it very tasty.

Julie - LOL. Nathan sounds like a carbon copy of He who must obey. (2 portions to everyones one!) I had to empty the Fish pie out of the dish onto a plate and put it with the green beans AND the buttered roll so it filled the plate, otherwise it would have been a case of him looking at me as if to say...."is this a starter?" -
For a low fat option? Use breadcrumbs and Parmesan. All the flavor and crunch , less calories. Cream crackers or even those awful low fat crisp. Corn flakes even. Just an added crunch texture flavor thing

I find paring food down too much brings on cravings
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Missy, great selection of low cal toppings there. Thanks.

Fortunately, I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to dieting.
I don't mind doing without naughty foods to lose the excess. It's only for one month and it works every time. I have to admit I loathe it if I put on a few pounds and it means the difference between me feeling comfortable tucking a blouse in my trousers and looking sideways in the mirror without flinching, or wearing a jumper to hide those extra pounds which always seem to head straight for my waistline and makes me miserable.

I also don't mind small portions of food as long as what I am eating tastes nice and within my calorie intake.
When he who must obey is eating dessert I pig out on grapes and an apple. Luckily I love fruit.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-09-2017, 03:16 PM

Well I can recommend the vegetarian version of this dish, we had it for lunch and very nice it was. I think I might add a teeny bit of nutmeg to the mash but that's just my taste I quite like sweet potatoes with that added.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top