Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Re: River God

Sue and I were invited to go and see the artists tomb of those who did the painting in the valley of Kings tombs.

We went down this narrow corridor and into this underground room. The paintings on the walls (protected by plastic screens) looked as if done yesterday not thousands of years ago. Outside this particular tomb was the ruined village they lived in.

Going up the Nile we visited the Nubian Village

High street in village

Avoiding the traffic

Nubian doing stick dance on board boat. Notice how dark skinned he is, different from the Egyptians. They don't really know when or how the got to live in Egypt

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 10:13 AM

No One allowed inside

Hatshepsut "Foremost of Noble Ladies";[5] 1507–1458 BCE) was the fifth pharaoh of the Eighteenth Dynasty of Egypt. She was the second historically confirmed female pharaoh.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Wow! Going UP the Nile ?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 10:45 AM

Wow ! You must have boarded one of the hotel/barges ABOVE the Aswan High Dam and headed SOUTH. To get into Nubian territory must have been a very long trip. I hoped they stopped at Abu Simbel.

P.S. When I was at Hatshepsut's Temple, in 2007, the interior was still open to the general public. Did you know the Hatshepsut's lover was buried very close to her, just to the right of the great ramp. Since he was a commoner, they had to keep their romance a deep secret. His small tomb was very well hidden and only in modern times was it discovered.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-09-2017, 11:15 AM

Abu Simbel.

This was repositioned stone by stone here as where it was going to be flooded by lake Nassar. Went in a coach convoy with armed guards as protection from attack by lybians
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Haven't been to Egypt but love the Architecture, History, Imagine living there in those times had to be Rough compared to the conveniences we have today, they truly had to be hearty people.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not sure I would call Wilbur Smith's books great literature but he is, like Jeffery Archer, a good story teller.

One of the most irritating things about Wilbur Smith is that his heroes are all the same - very manly and almost handsome but not quite perfect with a broken nose or a scar and the heroines are likewise almost beautiful, their perfection spoilt by a slightly large mouth or nose.

I haven't read one of his books for decades but I used to enjoy them.
I agree most of his heroes are horribly arrogant too.
River God is not as bad as the insufferable Courtney sagas but the hero does and knows everything !

I wonder if the heros are reflections of what the author might like to be (Wilbur Smith doesn't sound like the sort of character i would like to meet if his comments re his own children are anything to go by )

Similarly Dick Francis also good writer but his heros are all the same tall, fit clever cool dark and handsome( Dick Francis was a little plump man after he stopped racing )
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 01:56 PM

For those of you interested in Egypt, I can thoroughly recommend the books written by Christian Jacq. I have virtually collected a full set over the years, all of them difficult to put down once you start reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Jacq
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
------------------------
Bakerman replies
Sorry to disagree, but Tiata, in "River God" is far from manly.
And Ben Kazan, in "Sunbird" is a hunchback.
The character Tiata was castrated as a boy but is a great general warrior architect mentor etc etc
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 02:21 PM

We were fortunate enough to enter King Tutankhamun's tomb when we went to Egypt about 15 years ago. You had to pay an extra fee on top of the entrance fee to the Valley of the Kings but it was well worth it though to see the young King's tomb. The tomb was a lot smaller than the other tombs and not as highly decorated, there were narrow steps going down into it, we weren't allowed to take photos and it was very claustrophobic.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top