Join for free
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Jude
Germany
Jude is female  Jude has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:45 PM

Re: Theresa May suffers humiliation in Commons

Thousands of British citizens living in EU countries weren't given the right to vote even though the results of the referendum would affect them.
Whether their vote would have had any effect on the final result isn't known though I believe a majority would have voted to remain.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:11 AM

I'll get a ballistic missile shot at me for saying this ..

I don't believe British citizens, ex-pats, should have been entitled to vote. I'm not been mean but once they left this country to live elsewhere they were not really likely to be thinking of what was best for the UK .. the country's future, or for the people who do live here. National interest or independence.

They would likely choose to Remain simply because they had concerns, and quite understandable concerns, about what reciprocal agreements would be thrashed out for them as individuals, as EU citizens with British ties. Usually financially based concerns. They would not welcome change.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:21 AM

All just the latest step in the complete scripted side show that is "BrExit"

It's not going to happen

It IS all just going to be fudged over a long time period

There is NO democracy here

You live in a totalitarian state which offer the illusion of democracy using a scam 2-party political system.

Wake up!
Jude
Germany
Jude is female  Jude has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:27 AM

Morticia I think you are very wrong, I believe most expats or at least the ones I know are thinking of what is best for the country, most of us have children and/or family living in the UK and are very concerned for what their future holds and not all expats will be planning to live abroad for the rest of their lives but will be intending returning to the UK at some future date, so are understandingly upset that they weren't allowed to vote.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:33 AM

Yes, I can quite understand that view especially for those who have family living in the UK .... but .. they had their vote living in the UK.
For arguments sake let's say, your children had emigrated off to America or New Zealand .. they'd be able to vote there but living back in the UK would you expect to be able to vote too on that countries future?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I'll get a ballistic missile shot at me for saying this ..

I don't believe British citizens, ex-pats, should have been entitled to vote. I'm not been mean but once they left this country to live elsewhere they were not really likely to be thinking of what was best for the UK .. the country's future, or for the people who do live here. National interest or independence.

They would likely choose to Remain simply because they had concerns, and quite understandable concerns, about what reciprocal agreements would be thrashed out for them as individuals, as EU citizens with British ties. Usually financially based concerns. They would not welcome change.
Yes but by that logic the people who have been living here for decades but haven't for whatever reason applied for citizenship are invested in the future of this country and should have had a vote.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
All just the latest step in the complete scripted side show that is "BrExit"

It's not going to happen

It IS all just going to be fudged over a long time period

There is NO democracy here

You live in a totalitarian state which offer the illusion of democracy using a scam 2-party political system.

Wake up!
It is going to happen but it just won't be some crazy hard Brexit. What we need is a soft brexit.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-12-2017, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

Ah ... You mean like Remainers who are now cheering this outcome of this Parliamentary voting?
Well you got me there!
Jude
Germany

14-12-2017, 12:45 AM

Morticia.
I don't understand you, if they had emigrated to the USA or Australia they wouldn't be allowed to vote, just as I can't vote in Germany.
Only citizens can vote in General elections in the countries you mention.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

14-12-2017, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It is going to happen but it just won't be some crazy hard Brexit. What we need is a soft brexit.
I'm seriously beginning to wonder if it'll happen
I don't know when we're supposed to be coughing up this 40 billion protection racket money to the EU , I just hope we haven't paid too many instalments when someone in power tells us all ... Stop! Time to back pedal as we're staying in.

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top