Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 02:21 PM

Re: Crunch Weekend.

Swimmy, I am not objecting to the transition period, although I am sure, like most who voted to leave, spitting feathers over the fact that a transition period was needed in the first place if it were not for the EU negotiating team playing hardball and wasting precious months with their demands and sheer intransigence in ensuring a smooth withdrawal.

What I am complaining about is that Phillip Hammond is all for a super soft withdrawal that he would be content to see lasting 4 or even 5 years, following the same dictatorial rules that we voted to get out from as soon as possible. I do not wish a further two years after the withdrawal date, spent following every rule that we currently do. We did not vote for this.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 02:26 PM

I fear for our Fishing Communities who voted overwhelmingly to leave.
I was listening to the Denmark MEP on television who was stating that there will be divisions when it comes to our fishing rights. He said that it would effect Danish trawlers in our waters and Denmark will fight hard to retain all their fishing rights to remain. (I am sure other EU countries will be doing the same). My fear is TM will sacrifice once again our fishing industry. She seems incapable of not giving into their demands
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I fear for our Fishing Communities who voted overwhelmingly to leave.
I was listening to the Denmark MEP on television who was stating that there will be divisions when it comes to our fishing rights. He said that it would effect Danish trawlers in our waters and Denmark will fight hard to retain all their fishing rights to remain. (I am sure other EU countries will be doing the same). My fear is TM will sacrifice once again our fishing industry. She seems incapable of not giving into their demands
Yes, an excellent example of how I foresee us being sold down the river by our so-called representatives in Parliament. Most of them represent no-one but themselves.

I'm afraid we get what we deserve, though.

The vast majority of voters went for the Conservatives and Labour, plus the majority of Scots the SNP.

None of these parties would have taken us out of the EU without severe penalties because of either their incompetence or their corrupt intentions.

We had the chance to vote for UKIP and, indeed, in the local elections a few years ago, they obtained a majority of votes. Sadly, people turned their backs on them in the general election.

I am convinced that if UKIP had a majority, or even if they had a large enough presence to influence decisions in Parliament, we could have left the EU on our own terms and not those of big business and their supporting MPs.

I'm afraid that we have now had our chance and blown it.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong but, as I have said before, this country has now had it and, to be honest, it is our own fault as we are the electorate.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 06:42 PM

The problem with UKIP IMO was they were not a choice for everyone, it's only recently we had a candidate, and even as a candidate in such a Tory locked constituency they never stood a chance. We need a fairer system or it will never change.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The problem with UKIP IMO was they were not a choice for everyone, it's only recently we had a candidate, and even as a candidate in such a Tory locked constituency they never stood a chance. We need a fairer system or it will never change.
It is true that there are many 'safe seats' where the constituents will never vote for anyone else.

The consequence is that all of the key MPs in a party are in those very seats.

Jabbott the Hutt, for example, despite her being a complete idiot, is going to be elected every time by the voters in her constituency who, presumably, must also be complete idiots.

It will be interesting to see how the '11 traitors' fare in the next GE, although they clearly feel they are safe.

Actually, although it may appear difficult or even impossible for a major political party to be removed and replaced by another. Nevertheless, that has happened in the past. At the turn of the last century, the Labour Party appeared and supplanted the Liberals, so who knows what may happen?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2017, 08:34 PM

Well I'm not going to hold my breath that tories will go from here. But I'm willing to hope.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-12-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well I'm not going to hold my breath that tories will go from here. But I'm willing to hope.
I don't think they'll disappear, but I've a pretty fair idea that they won't be in government next time, thanks to May's conceding everything the EU has demanded.

The obvious replacement would be Compo's circus, of course, and God knows what would happen then.

Who would we blame for this? May, Compo or both?

I've given up worrying about it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 06:13 PM

Hi

The cabinet has finally met, 18 months after the vote, to decide on what sort of Brexit we want.

The EU has it's own ideas, based on our published red lines.

http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx...065/brexit.jpg
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-12-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The cabinet has finally met, 18 months after the vote, to decide on what sort of Brexit we want.

The EU has it's own ideas, based on our published red lines.

http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx...065/brexit.jpg
Ah! Only one more step to a NO DEAL scenario!

I wonder whether we'll make it. It has certainly taken long enough.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Hi

The EU have been busy this morning.

We leave any transition Period on 31st December 2020, full stop.

During the Transition Period we have to keep Free Movement and all EU Rules.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top