Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 10:22 AM

Flu

I know this subject has been done to death recently , however I'm going to consider having the vaccine next year because 10 days ago I started with a sore throat , then lost my voice ( thinking I was getting a head cold ) then bam it hit me , my head felt as though it weighed a ton , my body had no energy , my nose stopped me from breathing , I was unable to sleep , all I could do was wait hoping the next day I'd feel better but no , its still hanging onto me , at this moment I can breath but I know my head will feel as if it could explode again as the day goes on , the aching in my body is unbelievable , paracetamol doesn't touch it . I live alone and for 8 days I've layed on the sofa , or bed , exhausted . Lucky I had food in , I've been so hungry I've even got up at 4am to make food , some nights / days desperate for a cup of tea but couldn't raise my head from the bed .

Is it me or is this flu thing worse now than years ago , Ive had it before but this virus is hanging onto me like a limpet .

I know it came from someone on the bus who sneezed everywhere without a hanky abut 12 days ago , I covered my face but it didn't help .

I said I'd never have the vaccine as previously it had made me unwell but I think it might be worth giving it a go next year . Even though I've read all the info posted on here from you wise folk who say don't have it .

So at this moment I've got a bit of energy I'll make some breakfast as starving again , I'll try as I've been doing all these long dragging days to be positive and tell myself I'll be better tomorrow .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 10:33 AM

Re: Flu

Absolutely Susan darlin' - you SHOULD have the flu jab. Like you I too had 'flu' many years ago when I was reasonably fit and obviously much younger. Although I felt like 'death warmed up' for a few day I was able to shake it off. These days I do not hesitate to have the injection, because I know, in my current poor state of health, catching 'flu' could be the end of me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 10:38 AM

I always recommend it after a chest infection nearly killed me. The people that don't I can only guess are fit and healthy and have no need for it. I hope you are feeling much better soon, Susan, it's horrible feeling so bad.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 10:47 AM

Sorry you’ve been feeling so bad Susan, I would also recommend having the flu Jab.

When I had flu several years ago it took three weeks before I started to feel stronger, I was in bed for two of those. It must be awful if you are living on your own. I hope you’ll feel better soon.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 11:06 AM

I have had flu only twice in my life and the bed had to be changed because the amount that you sweat is like you are lying in a pool. headache , weakness, thought of food was awful. parecetamol is all you can take , and when you do manage to get up you have a job to stand.

So many people nowerdays say they have had the flu , Rubbish, they have had at most a bad cold , cough. and then they are up and about in two days It has been a great excuse for a few days off work. There is no cure for it, they waste a Doctors time because there is nothing he can do.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 11:15 AM

Susan, Flu has always been a potential killer, so I would call out your doctor who can visit you at home, if you are no better by Monday. If it gets worse over the weekend call 999.
It may just be a heavy cold because anything, that restricts your breathing or makes you ache all over, is a nasty infection. Take 8 paracetamol a day' leaving a period of 4-6 hours between doses, drink lots of water and rest. Eat when you feel like eating and maybe make a sandwich, wrapped in clingfilm, to keep in your fridge in case you are not up to making one when you feel really bad.

Make a note in your diary to get a flu jab every year, around Sept/Oct!

Hope you get well soon!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 11:26 AM

It's unbelievable amount of tissues I've gone through , and Ive been hungry , I've heard the saying "feed a cold and starve a fever " I wonder if it's cause my body was using the energy to combat the virus . During the day Ive been on the sofa and coped with it but at night , well around 4pm it's comes in with a vengeance , I feel like I've been battered and beaten and my head , well like a baloon about to burst .

My friend called in the week and chucked a box of lem sips to me holding a scarf to her mouth and face , me saying , stay away don't come in .

Anyway , so far I've got energy so I've got the bedding in the machine , got to do stuff when I can , I can breath too , wonderful , my nose feels clear , well one nostril that is .

Another day and tomorrow I'll feel better ( yes I keep saying it )
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I know this subject has been done to death recently , however I'm going to consider having the vaccine next year because 10 days ago I started with a sore throat , then lost my voice ( thinking I was getting a head cold ) then bam it hit me , my head felt as though it weighed a ton , my body had no energy , my nose stopped me from breathing , I was unable to sleep , all I could do was wait hoping the next day I'd feel better but no , its still hanging onto me , at this moment I can breath but I know my head will feel as if it could explode again as the day goes on , the aching in my body is unbelievable , paracetamol doesn't touch it . I live alone and for 8 days I've layed on the sofa , or bed , exhausted . Lucky I had food in , I've been so hungry I've even got up at 4am to make food , some nights / days desperate for a cup of tea but couldn't raise my head from the bed .

Is it me or is this flu thing worse now than years ago , Ive had it before but this virus is hanging onto me like a limpet .

I know it came from someone on the bus who sneezed everywhere without a hanky abut 12 days ago , I covered my face but it didn't help .

So at this moment I've got a bit of energy I'll make some breakfast as starving again , I'll try as I've been doing all these long dragging days to be positive and tell myself I'll be better tomorrow .[
Sue you must take this seriously...Boxing Day last year my sister went down with a flu virus as you describe. She was poorly for several days and by new years eve said she felt a bit better, but the next day worse again...I called 111 to get a doctor to call, and it turned out she had pneumonia and sepsis...she was in hospital for six days and full recovery has taken months.

GET CHECKED OUT!!!! xx
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 12:00 PM

It seems like every year during the colder months, everyone is coughing and sneezing. This includes all people, from infants to the very elderly. Most adults dismiss their symptoms, saying, "It's just a cold." They expect to tough it out for a couple of days and be back to feeling fine within a week.

However, sometimes it is more than "just a cold," and the symptoms indicate that a person may have pneumonia.

It is very important that older people get any of these symptoms checked out, as pneumonia can progress rapidly. It can also be much more dangerous for people with chronic diseases, such as lung or cardiac problems.

An exception to these symptoms can be the case of "walking pneumonia," during which a person does not exhibit typical symptoms of pneumonia.

It should also be noted that older people tend to have fewer symptoms than younger people, meaning that pneumonia can progress to a dangerous point before medical attention is sought.

What are the Symptoms of Pneumonia?

First a Cold, Then High Fever: It is true that most cases of pneumonia start out with the typical symptoms of a cold –- sneezing, sore throat, runny nose, even a low-grade fever. You may even have a mild cough. If, however, you develop a fever over 101 degrees F, you need to see a doctor as this may indicate that a bacterial infection is present, which could lead to pneumonia and/or bronchitis.

Chest Pain That Feels Worse With Deep Breaths: This may feel like aching or dull pressure under your breastbone, which hurts more if you cough or take a deep breath.

Muscle Aches: Often, people with pneumonia feel a general "malaise," which includes achy muscles and discomfort. There can also be joint pain.

Purple or "Dusky" Skin Color: This indicates that not enough oxygen is getting into the blood. In the case of pneumonia, the fluid in the lungs impairs function.

Headaches: A headache is often made worse by the action of coughing.

Shortness of Breath: This feels like not being able to get enough air. Often, this causes the person to gasp even though they are not exerting themselves at all.

Clammy Skin: The skin will feel damp and cool to the touch. The person may be pale. The clamminess is caused by sweating.

Shaking Chills: Chills can be described as "feeling cold from the inside out." The person is unable to feel warm, regardless of the temperature in the room or how many blankets or clothes they have on. These chills can cause a person to shake so much that their teeth chatter. Some people refer to chills as "rigor."

Productive Cough: This means that sputum (a mixture of saliva, mucus and sometimes pus) is produced when coughing, as opposed to a dry, hacking cough. "Sputum" is also referred to by some as "phlegm."

Discolored or Bloody Sputum: Sputum can be clear, but it can also be yellow, green or have flecks of blood in it. The yellow or green color comes from leukocytes (white blood cells that indicate infection).

Bloody sputum indicates a severe lung infection. All of these could point to pneumonia.

Bottom Line

Responding quickly when any of these symptoms are present in an older person may mean the difference between a hospital stay (or even death). Seeing a doc immediately is crucial -– don't be afraid of "wasting his time" or appearing to be a "hypochondriac." It is much better to make an unnecessary trip to the doctor than a prolonged trip to the hospital because you waited too long to get checked.

I know You're not 'elderly' Susan but You aint a teenager either,...,so do as advised by Ruthie....PS..if You had gone for the flu' jab You would have been offered the Pneumonia one as well...hope You feel better soon,x
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
It's unbelievable amount of tissues I've gone through , and Ive been hungry , I've heard the saying "feed a cold and starve a fever " I wonder if it's cause my body was using the energy to combat the virus .
Hi Susan , so sorry to hear you have been ill. When people talk about 'feed a cold starve a fever' I understand this does not refer to food but clothing/bedding 'feeding' a cold by wrapping up well to help you sweat it out.

Drinking lots is the main thing recommended.
I hope you will be better soon.

I am always first it the queue for the flu vaccination. I know it doesn't give 100% protection but with other health conditions including asthma I do anything I can to help avoiding getting flu.
I hope you will be better soon...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top